1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

77 Sunset Strip

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by AntAltMike, Jul 10, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    ...without the Snap! Snap!

I just caught an episode from its sixth and final season on MeTV this morning. Someone should sue themselves for misappropriating their own show name.

For starters, it doesn't begin with the theme song that we all know and love. And technically, it doesn't even have opening "credits", because credits is the plural of credit, but it only has one recurring character, Stuart Bailey, still played by Ephrem Zimbalist Jr. The pace of the episode was slow and the lighting morbid - maybe noir - and I wound up surfing elsewhere.

I seems that the ratings had fallen off, but they kept the show alive for one final season by dropping the entire cast, save for Zimbalist. Like when Burke's Law became Amos Burke, Secret Agent. 77 Sunset Strip was canceled after 20 episodes, in an era when a full season would likely have been 36 episodes.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    One of the many reasons why no one has ever accused network executives of being intelligent.

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
  4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'd like to see the first three seasons of Make Room For Daddy. Maybe even the first four seasons. That show ran for eleven seasons, but only seasons 5 through 9 are used in syndication. The rights to Seasons 10 and 11 are held by a different company, which I think was a partnership of Danny Thomas and Sheldon Leonard, so it would be financially disadvantageous to the Thomas company that has seasons 1-9 to share the royalty payment since the subscribing broadcasters wouldn't be paying any more to rotate maybe 225 episodes in total than they now pay 163.

Seasons 1-3 have never been shown in syndication and season 4 was only shown on some forgettable satellite TV nostalgia-type C-band channel decades ago. In seasons 1-3 Danny had a different wife, played by actress Jean Hagen, and she chose to not renew her contract and her character was reported to have died during the off-season. Danny was a widower, sometimes "playing the field" in the fourth season, as many TV single parent household fathers had, and near the end of the season, they had a story arc in which Marjorie Lord was hired as a governess. In the final episode of that year, she and Danny got engaged, and when Season 5 began, they were already married.

Leaving those four seasons out of the syndication package neatly avoids the continuity problem that would confuse new viewers, and it also reduces the royalty recipient pool.

There was an episode in which Danny and Kathy Williams adopt each others kids, but about a year later, the scripts were written as though they had been a natural family all along.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM
  5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Was Route 66 before or after 77 Sunset Strip? I remember watching them as a kid and liking them. My Dad was big on Action shows, Sci-Fi, slap stickish comedies, etc. He loved TV so I had it good growing up.

6. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "77 Sunset Strip" (1958 - 1964). "Route 66" (1960 - 1964).

7. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    You are lucky to have metv available. Metv has not been available to folks in the San Francisco Bay area over a month now.

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Warner Brothers, which was arguably the king of the TV Westerns of the 1950s, followed that success with a spate of detective shows that included 77 Sunset Strip (1958-1964), Hawaiian Eye (1959-1963), Bourbon Street Beat (1959–1960), and Surfside Six (1960-1962). They had a lot of "overlap" episodes.

All of those shows had anchor locations. In the 1960s, there were also several successful adventure shows with settings that moved from locale to locale, most notably Route 66 (1960-1964), the Fugitive (1963-1967) and Run for Your Life (1965-1968).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 1:51 PM
  9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    When I occasionally see shows like "77 Sunset Strip" I find it haunting as I see dead people. However it is good to know Edd Byrnes is still alive.

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Warner Archive has 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6 on all DVD. There are many old TV shows they have. Buying a series isn't cheap, but they are nice to have. I bought the Eight Is Enough series over time.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    0011301602671_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg 5849_large.jpg Currently "I Spy" is going for $124.46 and "The Prisoner" is selling at $249.99. I payed a lot less for both when I purchased them awhile back but because of the Cosby fiasco and the other being out of print the price for both has skyrocketed.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    When a DVD becomes rare, the price goes up to the highest bidder. It is better to buy the DVD when it comes out. Older Disney Treasures are going for horrible prices too.

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Of course, you can get gobs of that stuff for free just by recording it from Gettv, Grittv, MeTV and CoziTV. Two of those channels are running Trackdown, one on weekdays, the other on weekends, which I bet most of you have never heard of. And here is some Trackdown trivia: 1) Robert Culp's character was spun off from an episode of Zane Grey Theater, and, 2) Trackdown introduced the character of bounty hunter Josh Randal.