771 error - few channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SamC, Jul 30, 2019.

1. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    OK. Apartment building, one dish for whole building. H24 & HR24. 95% of channels work perfectly. 771 error on the rest. Channels not received include ESPNU, SECN, the new PT feeds of TBS and TNT. All other channels perfect. No one else has a problem. And, the channels DO work every now and then for a few hours. (And if I toggle "show SD duplicates" I get the channels in SD, so it is not a package issue.)

Landlord's relative is a "reseller" and is clueless. Main DirecTV will not do anything, account must be served by "reseller". Sent out some guy, who just did the stuff they tell you to do, red button reset, etc. Which I had already done, plus a 02468 force and nothing works. He said he wanted to replace the wall plate barrel, which I told him it was two receivers with the same problem, which rules that out along with a receiver problem and he then said it was a "package issue" and I showed him the difference between a 771 screen and a not subscribed screen and then said he would look into it and get back to me, which he has not.

Cable goes into a silver box marked "DTVTRIPLX-02" which has two cables out. One goes to a black box marked "DIRECTV NETWORK ADAPTER" which changes the coax to a computer cable and that runs to the internet (which is fine), the other coax runs to a boc marked "SWIM splitter SWM 4 Way" which has four cables out. All cables are in tights, no copper bent, none of that.

Help?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Is it just one apartment that has that problem or are all apartments missing those channels?

3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Just me

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    ESPNHD & SECNHD are on 103 odd transponders, but TNTWHD (245-1) and TBSWHD (247-1) are on odd 99 transponders.

You should be missing a lot of channels, maybe you just don't watch any other odd 99/103 channels. Can you pick up DIYHD (channel 230, 103 odd) or PARHD (channel 241, 99 odd) for instance?

Assuming it is all 99/103 odds missing the problem must be with the SWM switch that serves your apartment. Either the switch itself is bad, or there's a loose connection or other problem with the cabling that connects to it.