771 error on HR 24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drew64, Mar 21, 2020.

1. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    So recently began getting 771 errors on bedroom DVR which is an H r 24. I have an HR 34 downstairs which works fine. I tested the connections to make sure all tight. I have a cinema box connected to it and tighten cables on that as well. Started to work again. Then after a few minutes tv showed no satellite signal. Now cant get anything to show. No picture or menu. Just my tv telling me no signal. Im going to try and unplug it for a bit and see if can get it to work but if the box is bad im assuming this is what would happen. No picture or access to menu or saved shows.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Error Code 771: Searching for Satellite...Main Check: 1. Peaking...2. Line of Sight...3. Connections...4. Distribution System...5. Hardware. You can also perform a System Test on your HR24, a BiST Test (Built-in Self Test) and a CLEARMYBOX.

3. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I had reset the box in past but now I can’t even see the menu system as tv says no signal is satellite connected. It’s a tcl tv. I’m going to switch hdmi ports to to make sure nothing bad there but if wires connected good and now can’t even see menu system to do anything I’m going
    To assume
    Box is dead even though turns on

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You can also try swapping locations with your HR24 and HR34.

5. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Not that easy to swap. I have my downstairs connected through swim and that’s my home theater system. So don’t want to take chance on moving everything including the furniture just to swap it out. I guess will call And see if can get a box sent over

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the TV is saying no signal,
    have you tried plugging the HDMI cable into another port ?
    Unplug each end of the HDMI and plug it in again.
    If you have HDMI running thru another device do it with that cable also.

Last, Can you move that receiver to where the 34 is and connect it in place of the 34 and see if it works on that TV ?

7. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    so got the new refurbished box. sent me an HR 24-100 not even a 500. Plugged everything in and still no signal showing up on tv. connected HDMI to another port and nothing . i checked cables outside and all look connected tight and my living room tv works fine. So unless I have a bad wire all of a sudden or connected something differently im stumped. Going to have to have a tech come out and look

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait, I gotta on the tv at all? Have you tried another device using the same cables and inputs? Like a DVD player or AppleTV or something?

9. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    my apple tv works, dvd player works. switched inputs to see if it worked on one that the other devices was on and no the roku tv just shows is the box on which it is.

10. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Tech
    Coming
    Out tomorrow. Could the multi switch go bad. I looked on my deck where it is installed
    And all the wires
    Look good and plugged in right and ends sealed with a rubber cap the guy put on.

11. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    Ok,quick update. I had time and hooked up upstairs box to downstairs tv. It worked fine. I’m going to redo the setup upstairs and try the old box again. If doesn’t work either the multi switch is bad or there is some cable in wrong spot.

12. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    So technician came out. Checked multi switch ADP do it had water in it and cables were wet. Went on roof and saw cable was decaying. So speed cable with new one, replaced switch and all is good now with the hr 24.

codespy and jimmie57 like this.