771 just one single channel WABC NY

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tivoreno, May 29, 2020.

1. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Well, this is odd and frustrating. For the last week or so I've been unable to receive the national WABC-NY channel, getting 771 on just that one channel. All other channels, including the other 3 NY national networks receive just fine. If I am not mistaken, they are on sat 101 and all transponders on that sat are 97-100 on all tuners. HR44.

2. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Well, I think DirecTV may have remapped my channel 7 to some spot beam??? Just a WAG because WABC comes in fine on channel 396, code 771 on channel 7.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    396 is the national channel 7 from NY

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Hd or SD? Hi Definition channels are not on 101.

Yeah the local 7 is on a spot beam now...

And what actual market are you in?

What reciever do you have?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  5. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    That explains it. I have an hr44, currently located well outside of my NY service address. I wonder if they'll be doing the same to channels 2, 4, and 5 then?

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Depends on what deals they cut for dns feeds with the channels. Are you supposed to be getting dns feeds or did you just “move” so you could get NY locals? If the former you might lose them for a bit then have them come back as they negotiate. If the latter you really have no legitimate complaint

7. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Hypothetical: If I live in New York and winter Florida and I wanted to bring my receiver so that I could still watch ABC NY etc., currently that can be done through 396 ABC correct? But if they get rid of that (remove 396 from my account) and only offer 7 on the spot beam, that ability would be lost?

And I realize this is against Directv policy, just a hypothetical possibility question, thanks.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hypothetically. Of course that ends tomorrow night when DIRECTV will probably turn 396 into a "the government forced us to take down this channel" slate.

9. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Correct. Basically, that's what I am doing. 2, 4, and 5 still work, for now. But if they map those to spot beams, and turn off the 390's, we'd be SOL. All the other NY locals, i.e. 9, 11, etc are on spot beams today, of course, and I'm used to not being able to receive those.

10. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    I've had my head buried in the sand. What happens tomorrow night?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DIRECTV loses permission to deliver distant network channels to their customers.
    Distant Networks: STELA reauth, DNS and LiL

The law that allows DIRECTV to deliver out of market feeds of major network stations changed in December. Existing carriage was grandfathered through May 31st. Starting June 1st DIRECTV will need to follow the new law. One of the requirements of the new law is for DIRECTV to offer local into local carriage in every market in the US. There are twelve markets DIRECTV where has decided not to offer carriage - which means they no longer qualify to deliver distants under the DNS law. (AT&T|DIRECTV has had the past five months to offer carriage for those twelve markets.)

There has been a side deal that will allow DIRECTV to deliver the Fox network to certain subscribers, but the details have not been released. No deal has been announced for the other major networks.

12. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Thanks. Just finished reading that 18 page thread.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    And that was only possible for people who live in NYC or LA but travel elsewhere and want to take their receiver, and only possible because they decided to use the national channels they had for DNS as the NYC/LA locals instead of giving those people spot beams that duplicated those channels.

What you describe as the "new reality" has always been the reality for everyone who lives in one of the other 198 Directv DMAs.

14. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    I understand, do you think they will ever offer the NY/LA to everyone for a flat fee in the future?

15. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No. FCC and local broadcasters won't allow that.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Key word "everyone" ... that isn't going to happen.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The only customers it will be legal to offer such a package to are RVs, trucks, boats and other "mobile" accounts that have no fixed address. It is not legal for them to offer it to any residential or commercial account that doesn't fit the above criteria - i.e. nothing in a fixed structure like a house, apartment building, office building, bar, etc.

18. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Hypothetically, "Movers" to the NY DMA are still receiving all of the channels in the 300's.
    WABC channel 7 started receiving a 771 error some time last week.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not all of them ... at best they would only receive the ones in the NY Market that are still ConUS.

20. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Correct. The big 4.