771 Phoenix local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by slowgin5, Oct 28, 2020.

1. slowgin5

slowgin5 New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    We had a wind storm here and now the local channels show 771 error. I am trying to find out which sat I should be on for testing? 99/a/b/c or 103/a/b/c or something else? That way I can set the box to that specific one then go on the roof for testing.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Before you do any of this, make sure your mount is solid and the mast/pole is plumb (vertical on all sides of the tube). Making sure the mast is plumb may solve the problem unless you've already started moving things around.

I believe Phoenix HD locals are on AT&T 12 at 103W. The SD locals are on 101W

If you're messing with the dish, you're going to want to do all of the orbital slots, not just one. The HD channels are particularly finicky as the Ka band that they're carried on is rather unforgiving.

3. slowgin5

slowgin5 New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I have not adjusted anything yet. I have only three options 103(cb), 103(ca), and 103(s)-which shows no signal.

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It may be instructional to take a picture of the various angle scales (elevation and azimuth) before you begin changing things. Unless the dish or arm is bent, you shouldn't have to do anything other than plumb the mast (ALWAYS do this first) and then tinker with the azimuth.

If the dish or LNB arm are bent, remove the LNB (for a backup) and throw the dish away.

Do you get any signal on any satellites? It is mostly an all-or-nothing proposition when you're working with a single dish. 101W is going to be the "easiest" to find so you make sure it is 100% before moving on to the tedious part.

5. slowgin5

slowgin5 New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    This is up on my roof, nothing is bent. Everything checks plumb. Will check 101w and see what I get there. Thanks for helping with this.

6. slowgin5

slowgin5 New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    I do not have a 101(w), or any sat that has a w in it. I can get locals during the day now but at night and early morning they are gone again. What would that inidicate?

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    A failing lnb or loose connection.

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Phoenix locals are on 103(s). You should be getting signal on transponders 15, 17, 18, 23 and 24. When you get to the signal strength test screen you have wait a while for the signals to show up on all transponders. It could take up to 10 minutes to get signals on all of them.

Yes

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I agree. This sounds a little like the TS may have a fogged lens on the LNB assembly (or maybe it is just wet inside).

When the temperature drops, condensation forms and obscures the signal.

Depending on the LNB assembly it may be possible to remove the lens and air dry the horn with the moisture in it.

10. slowgin5

slowgin5 New Member

Aug 29, 2018
    That is what I needed, the Phoenix locals are here 103(s) on transponders 15, 17, 18, 23 and 24. Thanks

During the day the lowest setting on 103(s) is at 70, then by early AM they dropped to 0. I called Directv they want $100 to roll a truck, and the tech was unable to answer if that would cover all parts or not. So the LNB must be bad now per above, I checked redid all connections. What are the chances it is something else or more then one thing causing it? Trying to figure out the best way to move forward, call D or start buying parts.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It comes down to value and that determination is entirely on you. How much is your time worth and how much pain and suffering are you going through as a result.

The service call should bring a truck that has everything needed to fix the problem in an hour or two. Trying to diagnose and fix things without an inventory of various known-good spares is going to take days and may not end in a satisfactory result.

In the end, you may find out that what the real problem has yet to be identified. I remember a long thread where the problem ended up being that the PI had been moved to switched power.

A replacement LNB assembly is likely to cost you around $15 plus tax and shipping so that's probably a good place to start running a adding up costs. If shipping is expensive, it probably wouldn't hurt to throw in a power inserter for backup purposes.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    What equipment/receivers do you have?

What’s your signal strengths showing on 101?