771 Searching for Signal but Only at Night

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by am3211, Dec 10, 2017.

1. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I have been a Directv customer since 2004 and never really had any issues that weren't of my own making.

My wife watches a shopping channel on Channel 70, also DIYTV at channel 230, and Hallmark TV at channel 312. For the past week or ten days I am having a "771 searching for Signal Issue" on those channels but only at night. I get this on all four of my DVR's (three HR24-500s and an HR44). There may be other channels with issues but those are the ones I am aware of right now. Currently sitting here on a sunny Sunday afternoon all channels are coming in just fine.

I assume the LNB or dish alignment to be the culprit since they are the common factor for all four units.

At this point, I plan to put in a service call, but thought I should ask on this forum before I make that call.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You may have a RG6 Problem
    I would suspect outside Cable connector - Since the problem is temp related - The Center Core of the RG6 Expands When heated making enough contact to work when the Temp goes down it shrinks and loses contact - can happen with a defective LNB as well - but I would take a few outside connectors apart first for a possible quick fix.

If you Have not had a Service call in awhile -I would still keep the appointment and have your system gone over.

3. bte52

bte52 New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Thank you for your kind reply.

WestDC likes this.
  4. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    Would a bad or loose connector only cause problems on certain channels?

5. lansbury

lansbury AllStar

Jun 29, 2007
    Had this error repeatedly the other night. I was watching the ABC local channel at the same time the box was recording a program on TNT. Turns out the program on TNT was not recording just a black screen, while the picture on ABC was OK. Finally reset the box and it hasn't happened again since.

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, Because the Channels (transponders) are carried on feq's and if using a Swm8 or 16 that would be possible

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'd be more suspicious of the lnb since it's only a few channels.