1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

771A Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ImTheOne, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ImTheOne

ImTheOne New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I have read all other threads about this error and nothing really pertains to my issues. I am using boxes at a condo that I have purchased but do not always live at, I have recently moved from that condo to a different condo and began experiencing issues with it. Here's the story:
    (last september)
    I took 1 of my HR20-700 HD DVR boxes from my home and purchased a secondhand Slimline dish that had the lnb w/ 3 sensors [​IMG]I guess you could call them on it. I got a hold of a guy that was a subcontractor of DirecTV and paid him 100$ to come and mount it, point it, and make sure it was all working. He had run the Dish to "B-BAND" converters and then into the box in satellite port 1 & 2. It worked great for 6months and then when I moved to a different condo I took it down and figured surely I could put it up myself after I had seen him do it. I got all settled into the new place, repointed the dish using a compass and the settings provided on my receiver per zip code. I was pretty confident with it and setup my receiver, I got a 771A error pop up. Tried a new LNB and still had same error. A buddy of mine knows a little about DirecTV and said to try and use the SWiM LNB and gave me one, and I still have the error. After I have tried everything I can think of, the solution that I have come to is the PIs INSIDE the receivers went bad is the only reason it wouldn't have worked with the OLD LNB or the NEW LNB. WHat do you guys think?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There are a few things:
    The "three senors" shown are from the 5 LNB.
    Because you needed two cables and B-band converters means it wasn't a SWiM.
    The 771a error is because this receiver is set to a SWiM.
    Now that you do have a SWiMLNB, you also need the 21 volt PI to power it, as it can't be powered from the receiver alone, like the non SWiM LNB was.

Using a compass and the settings from the receiver are "merely" a starting point for pointing the dish, and need further adjustments to actually align it to receive a signal.

3. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Much better answer above.

4. ImTheOne

ImTheOne New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    So most likely the errors with the previous LNBs were because the power inserters inside the receivers weren't sending power? If the receiver is set to use a SWiM LNB does it disable the ability to send power from the receiver?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Kind of", as SWiM mode is a completely different output [for DC].
    Another thing is to look and make sure there isn't a tree or something else blocking the signal, as almost anything will block the SAT signal, unlike a TV antenna.
    Since you don't have the PI, you might want to go back to the old LNB, and then re-running the SAT setup and select the SL5 dish. Sometimes these receivers don't switch back from SWiM easily, so it may take a few attempts. When it has the error will be 771 [without the a] for no signal.
    If you can get to here, start with the signal meter screen and select the 101 SAT, as it's the easiest to get. Then you can move on to the 119 for the tilt adjustments and finally use the fine tuning adjustments for HD [99 & 103]

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Getting 771A for the last two hours plus.

Does the PI for a SWiM-16 have an idiot light?

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There is a power light, yes.

8. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Where?

Attached Files:

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Inside. You can see it through the cooling vent slots.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    In the picture posted it's above the Power to SWM and it's a green light.

11. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Just came in from outside.

No visible vent, no visible green light.

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Hmmm... may be a problem with the PI then. Mine has a very visible light above the word "Power."

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  14. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I see it now, but it is not lite. The PI got soaked in last night rain. There's probably a short in it.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Were you looking at the SWM itself or the powersupply?

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Why was this located where it could get rained on?
    These aren't made for outdoor use.

17. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    PI, it wasn't lite last night and it not lite now. Being plug into an outside outlet, the outlet is ground fault. Whatever happen didn't trip it as I put a small table night light into the other outlet and it works.

Damn, the HR21-100 just starting to reboot on its own as I type this.

18. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I asked the installer if it was OK there. And he insisted in was fine for outdoor use.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another idiot/misinformed installer. :nono:
    The SWiM is made for outdoor use, but none of the PIs are.

20. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I have to strongly agree with VOS there. I wouldn't put something like that in an outdoor location.