773 Signal Issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dazed&confuzed, Dec 10, 2018.

1. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Having some reception issues with my HD-DVR's. Picture is breaking up once in a while and other times the sound will drop out for a second or two. On a few occasions I have seen the 775 communication error. Does not seem to be affecting my HR-21 only the Genie and HR-24 units.
    If I unplug the power inserter for a bit they will work great for a while (Sometimes all day)
    Power inserter is near the Genie behind the TV Stand. SWM16 is in the attic protected from the elements, there should not be a corrosion issue.
    Looking for ideas on what may be the issue?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    775?

Rich

3. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Yes, I think you are correct 775.
    I don't see it very often, usually when changing channels.
    Thought it might be signal strength but almost all of them are 93+ that I have looked at

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This could be a problem with your SWM 16. They can replace your LNB and discard the SWM 16 and probably fix this.

It could also be a slightly loose connection somewhere in the line between the power inserter and the LNB.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Look at any Outside RG-6 Connection -Do the 4 down leads Come into the Attic - or do the Go to a Block outside to connect to ground then into the attic? Look out side One of the four connections are bad - Try that first

6. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Unfortunately the SWM16 is in an area that is not easily accessible by an installer.
    (Amazing what you will go through yourself to put things where you want them)
    Figured the SWM would be better off inside rather than exposed to the elements.

I have 4 separate wires going from the dish into the SWM16
    I'll check the wires on the SWM16 and power inserter first, then try crawling out to the dish on the garage roof.
    Thanks

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suggest - Go to ebay and buy a reverse Band LNB - Get rid of the 4 Down leads & the Swm-16 Run one wire from the New LNB and to a swim 8 Splitter and be done with it.

That will give you 21 tuners all on a Single wire.

8. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    Interesting, but I'm finding two LNB's. Both say they have 13 channel capability. The 3D2RBLNB says it receives the 99 101 and 103 satellites and the 5D2RBLNB also receives the 119 satellite. (and is a lot more expensive)
    Really wished this had happened when it was warm out... :-(
    I have the DTV protection plan, will they do this upgrade for free?

9. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    They Will DO a Service Visit for free - and when the tech shows up you can ask about it or $tip to get anything you want - What LNb do you Have Now - a 3 or 5? -The 3 or 5 D2RBLNB Will Give you 21 Swim Tuners - They Only State 13 Because of support and non support of the HS-17 which means if you have one you can't use any older receivers . I've been using one for almost 2 years with no problem .

10. dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed AllStar

Mar 10, 2008
    I belive it's the SL5-LNB, it has 3 of the receiver units mounted on the mast.
    Got it for free from a neighbor that didn't want it on his house anymore.
    For receivers I have an HR-44, HR-24 and two R-22's
    Think I'll check things out myself first before I initiate a service call.
    I don't like taking a half day vacation for a service call if it's something I can fix.

WestDC likes this.
  11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have the PP. I'm gonna get them to do this. I don't think it's gonna cost me anything.

Rich