775 Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dlt4, Jun 17, 2020.

1. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    After 17+ years as a customer I have my first instance of the 775 error. I have an HR44 which still works fine, but the HR24 in the den has the error. I discovered my CCK plug had been bumped out of the outlet strip, but plugging it back in didn't solve the problem. I have unplugged both receivers and the CCK for a few minutes, plugged the CCK in first, then the receivers a few minutes later but to no avail. The network light on the CCK is blinking amber.

I don't have the protection plan so I'm trying to avoid a service call if possible. If anyone has a suggestion on what to try I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    775 Problem Communicating with Dish...Cause/Resolution: SWiM power inserter may need to be plugged in...The network can't detect the SWiM due to power loss to the SWiM...No SWiM installation is present.

3. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I should have said upfront that I don’t have much knowledge about how the CCK/SWM setup works. When you say SWM power inserter are you referring to it being plugged into a power outlet? If so, the SWM was never unplugged except when I unplugged it to reboot it.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Try this ....
    1. Unplug your HR44 and HR24.
    2. Unplug your SWM Power Inserter (dish power supply)
    3. Wait a few minutes.
    4. Repower your SWM Power Inserter
    5. Repower your HR44 and HR24.

ericknolls and Dishdude714 like this.
  5. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I thought the problem was going to be solved because the lights on the CCK looked normal for a few minutes. Unfortunately it didn't last, still getting the error.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you tried checking for a loose / not tight coax connector. The tiniest bit of not tight will cause this error.
    That 775 says it can not connect to the LNB on the dish.

7. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I had already done that, but just to be sure I just checked them again and they are good.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Dishdude714 likes this.
  9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Dishdude714 likes this.
  10. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Thanks, I will check them out. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't totally understand how the CCK/SWM setup works, but when I saw the unplugged CCK I assumed that must be the problem since nothing else in my setup had been changed. It appears that had nothing to do with the 775 error, correct?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are connecting to the system wirelessly and the connection is not excellent, then I think you could get that error.
    From what I read the CCK is dropping the connection.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do post #4 again, but this time restart your Router first and let it get up and running ( probably 2 or 3 minutes ).

13. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Looks like the only thing that changed is that the Network light on the CCK is now green instead of amber, which I thought would be a good sign, but still getting the error. The HR44 is connected to the internet, so does that mean the CCK is okay, or perhaps the problem is with the HR24?

FWIW, I just ran a system test on the HR24 and it says the SWM is not detected. Running the test on the HR44 shows the SWM is functioning.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think that the HR44 connecting to the internet is the only connection you need to get both receivers on the internet.
    The CCK might be causing a problem. Make sure you can put it back like it is now and then take it completely out of the line. (Make sure the ethernet is unplugged from the 24 as this causes a change internally in the 24 )
    Repeat the steps again but do not connect the CCK in any way.

SWM is supposed to carry internet thru the coax cables and the wireless HR44 will be the connection to the internet.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  15. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    So the cable from the wall that currently connects to the CCK will go the the input on the HR44 instead?

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The ethernet cable is not needed at all.
    You said that the 44 is connecting to the internet via wireless connection. To change that you would have to rerun the internet set up and I can not step you thru that.

17. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. HR44 is connected wirelessly, no Ethernet cable involved. Coax comes in from the wall, through the SWM to the CCK, then to receiver. I was referring that coax that runs from SWM to receiver. I just need to connect it directly to the CCK and bypass the CCK?
    Sorry for the confusion.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No problem. If I am correct the coax from the wall will go directly to the SWM ? then to the HR24.
    Eliminate the CCK. You only need that when you have no other access to the internet. Take pics of what you have before you unhook it.
    I think the thing you are calling the SWM is actually a Power Inserter. SWM systems need that unless you have the very latest Genie and they have that built into them.

19. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    Correct, the coax from wall is going directly to the Power Inserter (thanks for setting me straight), the terminal labeled Power to SWM. Other terminal goes to CCK, but I need to switch that to Sat Input on HR44, correct?

So the SWM must be at the dish then? Just trying to learn as I go.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    NO. The SWM is how it operates. Stands for Single Wire Multiswitch,
    The piece on the end of the arm on the dish is called and LNB.
    Does the SWM look like this ?
    [​IMG]