8 TVs w/Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by haggis444, Feb 11, 2017.

1. haggis444

haggis444 Legend

Jan 20, 2004
    So I dropped DirecTV a couple of years ago in favor of TiVO & TimeWarner because I have 8 TVs (I know it's ridiculous) but only 2 at most are in use at any time. So monthly cost was less, but yes I had to buy the TiVos but they have resale value so accounting wise I was better off. I am tired of tuning adapter problems and thinking of going back to DirecTV or Dish. I really want to do that latter, but I have a few questions I searched for and can't find:

1) What will they equipment-wise for 8 TVs? I know I can get a Hopper 3 with 6 Joeys MAX--I think I have to actually purchase one of those Joey's outright, but what about the 8th TV? Can I buy a 8th Joey on my own and add it? Or will the Hopper simply not allow that.
    2) I have a centralized wiring plant, how many coax lines do I need from the Dish to the central hub point? I assume Dish has splitters/multi switches like DirecTV.
    3) Will my locals show up as their actual channel #? Like broadcast channel 12, be 12 in the guide or something like 1012.

I am in Cincinnati if that matters.

Thanks in advance for the help. And sharing a Joey on 2 TVs is not really what I want to do, i want discrete channel capabilities on all of them.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    joeys using Coax - all use splitters, so you're good there. 1 cable going to the Hopper, and one going to each Joey You COULD use wally receivers, but that won't get the recordings from the Hopper, and you would need an additional dish for that.

Cincinatti - last I knew - Cincinatti HD locals for the Eastern Arc are all on 77 - This would mean a wing dish along with the 1000.\2 dish / Hybrid LNBs for the Hopper3. The other option would be to run a 2nd cable to all TVs and use their builtin OTA tuner - this might not be a bad idea any way - it's the only way to receive more than 1 OTA channel (and also the ONLY way to get separate OTA subchannels). Check Jameslong.name ' dish site for the latest scoop.

Dish - (Especially the Hoppers) - all local channels will appear on their "major channel number".

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The Hopper 3 software will only allow a max of 6 Joeys to connect to it, I have confirmed this.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Are there two tvs you almost never use? Maybe just connect an appletv or roku to them and login all the tv everywhere apps and be done with it.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I'm not certain you can use a Hopper 3 with the 77 satellite. For certain you could not three months ago when my Daughter had hers installed.

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    There are many options with multiple regular Hoppers that would work today. Multiple Hopper3s are not yet workable, but will be, as well as the ability to use the Hopper3 with 77.

7. haggis444

haggis444 Legend

Jan 20, 2004
    Thanks everyone for the informative responses. The system is letting me order a Hopper 3 in my ZIP and based on patmurphey looks like I can use it in Cincinnati. I think I am going to buy a 6th Joey and then as suggested hope the Dish Anywhere app comes out sooner than later for my 2 least used TVs on a Apple TV or Fire TV. One is on the porch so don't need it right now in the winter.

8. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    You could always add a wireless Joey to your system, and that way you could move it to wherever needed in the home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk