8 way splitter, how to install in a structured wiring panel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KOTULCN, Nov 28, 2019.

1. KOTULCN

KOTULCN New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I just bought a house which has a structured wiring panel with cat5e LAN drops, as well as all coax lines. DirecTV tech came out and installed a Genie 2 and wired minis which all connect in this panel. The tech installed an 8 way “green” label splitter which he said is proprietary so I can’t use any of the offerings by Leviton or Legrand. The way this splitter was designed will make it difficult to do a clean mount since there is a single coax coming into the side with the 8 coax cables going out on the top of the splitter. I have thought about maybe trying some of those 90 degree unions but it’s still going to look terrible. Does anyone have any advice on what they’ve used?

Wiring panel (in process of trying to organize).

[​IMG]

Splitter in question.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    You can replace the 8-way splitter with a 2-way that you can feed two 4-ways with very short lengths of cable ....

Google Image Result for https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7cn0nx/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/578/370/SPLIT2__91392__11922.1342025622.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Google Image Result for https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41EWn-NoJlL._SX425_.jpg

Just make sure that if there is no "Power Inserter" (PI) in your installation and the Genie's internal PI is used. That the 4-way splitter with the Genie server connected to its power-passing port, is cascaded to the power-passing leg of the 2-way.

Otherwise the LNB on the dish won't be able to receive any power.

Get the splitters from e-bay for best prices ....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. KOTULCN

KOTULCN New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Would that not double by issue, instead of having to mount one splitter with a side coax I’d have to figure out how to mount two of them.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many actual clients and TVs do you have around the house? Is it deep enough to mount it on the side maybe?so the eight basically head towards the other side and the feed shoots either up or down? Or why not skip mounting it and just let it hang lose so that it can be inside without putting any bending pressure on any of the cables? Maybe zip tie some of the cables so it stays in roughly one spot and the proper angle to make the panel “closeable”

5. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Only the 8 way has cables connecting perpendicular. The 2 and 4 ways are one side of the other but all on the same plane if you will.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would mount additional SAT_plate (wooden or aluminum) in that way what would appeal for you; then bolt the splitter to it and use zip ties to hold cables into pleasing picture.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    See the images posted by HoTat2 in post #2.

8. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Structured Wiring Cabinet.jpg This is how my 8 way splitter is mounted in my structured wiring cabinet. There was limited flexibility to move the splitter as the lengths of the cable determined the mounting location. I do not use the cover for the cabinet box as this provides a cooler location for the electrical boxes mounted in the cabinet including modem, VOIP box and electric power transformers. You can see the cable from the dish enters the splitter at an angle that would prevent mounting of the cabinet cover. I used two machine screws to mount the splitter into the side of the cabinet.

KOTULCN likes this.
  9. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Almost seems like you should be able to rotate it 90 degrees.

10. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    Unfortunately the depth of my cabinet is 3 1/2 in while the length of the splitter is 4 1/4 in so that option is not available. My cabinet is located in the master bedroom closet and hanging clothes cover the view so no big cosmetic downside; for those where the cabinet is visible the cover may be more of a requirement but still I recommend no cover if you have electrical devices like modems inside the cabinet heating up the area.

This position also makes it much easier to connect or disconnect a cable. If it was rotated 90 degrees it would be difficult to do that operation for a cable near the backside of the cabinet.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I only see 4 outputs. If that is all, why don't you swap out the 8-way with a 4-way?

12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If everything is working - I'd leave it like it is --hang a coat over it and close the closet door :)

13. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007

I agree close the door and nobody will see it. I wouldn't go messing around with something I wasn't sure about.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're assuming it is in a closet and hanging a coat over it will hide the wiring.

15. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    Based on the picture of the OP's post --It Looks like a closet

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't see any pictures in the OP's posts. I do see DirectMan's picture and he says the panel is in his closet.

17. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Before DECA, cascading splitters was a viable option.
    DECA losses can be excessive passing through multiple splitters.

18. KOTULCN

KOTULCN New Member

Feb 19, 2012

I am in the same boat, thinking about maybe trying a 90 degree coax union/elbow. I’ve also been contemplating just getting a new box since this one is metal and one of my Eero nodes will be mounted inside so I might as well get a plastic enclosure.

19. KOTULCN

KOTULCN New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    One of the other things I’m trying to figure out is how to mount the Genie 2. I’ve seen the wall mounts available, as well as other 3-D options. I’d like to still be able to use the closet & shelf so I’m not quite sure which direction I should go.

20. WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    I didn't either until I Quoted his post -Then the Pictures appeared in the quote --(No Pic) Displayed -Using Chrome or e -win10 - Until I Quoted his post.