1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

921 Ghost Town

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Rovingbar, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Rovingbar

    Rovingbar Legend

    Jan 24, 2005
    It is getting pretty sparse around here now. I must be one of 20 who have not upgraded yet. We're moving in a month so I'm combining the upgrade with the move. What is your excuse for haning on?

    Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
  2. garyhesq

    garyhesq AllStar

    Nov 4, 2004
    My excuse is, I'm having a new roof put on my house in the next month or so. I want to upgrade my dishes at the same time. I will do the dishes and upgrade to the 622 together after the roof is done. I can't wait! My 921 has been terrible since the last software upgrade.
  3. mwgiii

    mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

    Jul 19, 2002
    I am waiting for Dish Summit next month because Dish is supposed to announce new dishes (D500+ & D1000+). Also I don't see the point in letting Dish have my $300 and having to wait for a month for install since Dish still has shortages of the 622.

    I don't have to upgrade until football begins in late August.

    BTW, my 921 is acting worse than it ever has. So that might speed up my decision process.
  4. bobukcat

    bobukcat Hall Of Fame

    Dec 20, 2005

    Everything I've read and seen makes it sound like the D1000 is the shortage, not the 622. When I ordered my upgrade on 4/1 I had a 4/22 install date, recieved the 622 around 4/10 but was unable to move up the install because of the D1000 (even though I ended up convincing them to install a seperate D500 for 61.5 instead). I was aprehensive about this whole deal but the 622 has been PERFECT since a couple of reboots after install (knock on wood) so my 921 is going back tomorrow.

    I still think you have valid points on letting them sit on your $300 though, they shouldn't charge your card until they ship the unit and it can be installed.
  5. rjruby

    rjruby AllStar

    Dec 29, 2002
    Actually, my 921 has stabilized and is working well.
    I think I'll wait a while before upgrading.
  6. WildBill

    WildBill AllStar

    Dec 7, 2004
    I'm going to be traveling and out of town a lot for the next few months, so it would be 1) difficult to schedule an install and 2) unlikely I would get much use of the ugrade. Like mwgii, I'm waiting until August and hoping that some of the bugs in the new hardware and software will be fixed by then. Plus, there may be a new promotion that is as good or better than what's available now.
  7. tthomps

    tthomps Mentor

    Jul 17, 2004
    My 921 is working fine, and it has since I activated it in Nov of 2004. I don't mind pulling the plug on it every three months or so to force a cold boot. We get very good OTA reception from Indianapolis about 60 miles away (almost all the the stations are broadcasting from the same antenna farm), so the only HD we watch is OTA. Like mwgii, I don't see upgrading until footbal season comes back around. My favorite part of the OTA HD is the accompanying surround sound. When I run it thorough my home theatre system and crank it up, it sound like I am at the game!
  8. Grandude

    Grandude RichardParker II

    Oct 21, 2004
    I'm in no rush now that my 921 has settled down. I'll maybe get serious once the SF locals come this way in HD. Till then, anyway, I would gain nothing by upgrading since I'm not interested in VOOM channels.

  9. mwsmith2

    mwsmith2 Legend

    Nov 15, 2004
    My excuse is that I'm just flat lazy. That, combined with letting the "out of the gate" bugs get squashed and the 921 is working ok now. I'm probably going to make a call this weekend though.

  10. IowaStateFan

    IowaStateFan Godfather

    Jan 11, 2006
    For me, it's the cost. I currently have the $10 HD pack and have no interest in Voom. To upgrade I've got to spend an extra $10 for Voom and another $6 for the lease fee and there really isn't any compelling programming for that. When they get around to getting me the networks in HD, I'll consider upgrading. I'm not holding my breath. My market isn't even listed as one being considered for HD, and the distant networks are being held hostage to politics.
  11. harsh

    harsh Beware the Attack Basset

    Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I plan on hanging on at least until it looks like the rebate is going away (August) or HD locals are offered in my market. My preference would be a receiver with more than one OTA tuner.

    Battlestar Galactica on Universal HD may be calling me though.
  12. ClaudeR

    ClaudeR Godfather

    Dec 6, 2003
    I'm a cheap SOB, and only have AT60+locals. I own my 921, and don't want to spend a penny more per month, much less $99AR plus another $6 enabling +$6 rental per month.
  13. penguin44

    penguin44 Legend

    Oct 29, 2005
    I am also happy with my 921. Very few if any issues with it. I like the channels I get, and have been since november 05. The new HD lineup seems to be ok however they don't really carry anything I would like to watch.
  14. Larry Caldwell

    Larry Caldwell Godfather

    Apr 4, 2005
    I had WildBlue satellite internet installed last month, for $249in equpment costs. They're running a free installation special until May 15. By the time I bought a MIMO wireless router, plus a desk and chair so my wife could work at home, it ran me over $800. My disposable income won't handle $1100+ mad money in one month, so I'm putting off the 622 until May.

    Meanwhile, I am busily burning all my stored programming to DVD. When I go on business trips, I toss a couple shows I haven't had time to watch in the luggage, and watch them on my laptop in the evenings. With a set of headphones, it beats the hell out of hotel room TV. The screen is bigger than a Dish Player, though you have to do the video capture in real time.

    BTW, HD capture may not be possible, but if you capture the SVideo output of HD programming at the best MPEG-2 data rate, you get a very nice quality DVD with no compression artifacts at all. My capture hardware does automatic anamorphic compression, and the result looks top notch on the 17" laptop screen.

    I must say I'm really looking forward to the TV2 on the 622, because I will be able to watch one show while doing a video capture on another.
  15. AVJohnnie

    AVJohnnie Icon

    Jul 27, 2004
    I’m waiting until June to do the upgrade. This is because I purchase my programming on an annual basis and it renews every June. At that time I plan to request the 622 upgrade and to switch from my present AEP /w HD Pak+Voom Pak+Locals Pak to their new HD Platinum /w Locals offering – and hopefully they’ll permit me to continue paying by the year.

    I must say however that with the last software update, my old 921 has finally become the useable device that I had always hoped / thought it should be – and if it wasn’t for my eternal quest for more HD programming, I’d probably be willing to stick with the old fellow at this point.

    In my present dish setup I have 3 Dish500s; 1 for 119/110, 1 for 148, and 1 for 61.5. They all feed into a DPP44. Considering this, I wonder if they will still want to switch a couple of these out for one of the new Dish1000s or if they’ll just leave them be and do a little re-aiming? Anyone else in a similar boat that’s already gone through the upgrade? Any input as far as what to expect would be appreciated…Thanks!
  16. Rotryrkt

    Rotryrkt Legend

    Dec 11, 2004
    I'll be hanging on to the 921 for awhile as well. I see no "compelling reason" to switch to the 622 now. My 921 is now as stable as it has ever been. I WILL NOT take the "upgrade" deal in any case. All the fees and nickel and diming with the lease program plus the 18 month commitment is over the top. I'll wait till the 921 dies or there is more HD programming before I PURCHASE a 622. Hopefully, by then the price will drop like the 921 did. I bought mine for $500. A 622 for $4oo sounds about right.
  17. Leroy

    Leroy Cool Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    My 921 has been really stable. With all the comments about the 622 HDMI output failures and video/sound synchronization concerns it may be wise to wait a few more months. Who knows this unit may out last my 4900:lol: Also with all the complaints of low signal from the 129 Sat I will keep the 120 signal strength from my 61.5 and use OTA. I Love the old Legacy system:)
  18. harsh

    harsh Beware the Attack Basset

    Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think it unlikely that they'll drop the price to a level fully $100 less than the D* lease drive-off fee until such time that a much more desirable replacement exists. The 921 dropped to make room for the 942 and as we all recognize, the 942 went away before they dropped the price. The ViP622 supports all of the special features that Dish offers and the only way I can see that they could improve the feature set would be to add another OTA tuner and turn on some of the USB potential.

    The 942 is selling on eBay for about the same price as a 6000.
  19. klaatu

    klaatu AllStar

    Dec 7, 2004
    I'm waiting for them to announce the Rumored purchase deal. It looks like it will be $700 - $200 rebate, and you own it. 5/1/06. This way I can keep the 921, and get rid of the 5xx's I have.
  20. Ron Barry

    Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

    Dec 10, 2002
    based on what I read on the rumored deal. You have to return the 921 to get the rebate just like the lease deal.

Share This Page