921 - L184 Software Release Notes

Discussion in 'DISH™ Software Release Notes Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I've been away from the computer this evening, and didn't see that L184 has spooled.

L184 contains one fix: The 921 should no longer spontaneously reboot when tuned to a Sirius channel and PIP is used.

That's it. Nothing else was changed from the L182 software version. Nothing was changed with OTA, with timers, with CallerID or with anything else.

The next version should have significantly more than this. My 921 once again has an appointment down in the engineering department at Dish tomorrow morning, which should lead to another OTA issue being identified.

2. borfhead

borfhead Mentor

Feb 2, 2004
    I wonder if that is why my timers didn't fire tonight....CSI has been firing fine for weeks, but didn't go tonight. Good thing the season was over last week and we're into re-runs.

3. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    My timers didn't fire last night either during the download in the 6:30-7 and 7-8 time slots.

4. Jason

Jason Legend

Aug 8, 2002
    I had one OTA timer and one satellite timer that recorded just fine during the software download. The download completed and then it just waited until the recordings were done. It didn't start installing the upgrade in a timely manner though so I just did a power reboot and everything went fine.

5. ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    So here we are a month and a half down the road (since the last update that was worth while) and still no update that has any substance or meat to it... Sad situation in my opinion! :rolleyes: Gerry

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Mark, what about DPP44 support ?

7. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Quitcherwhinin. If you've got a 921 and you don't like the status quo and prognosis for the future, unload it and get a TiVo. Or a B&W, a VCR, and a bunch of old movies. Or whatever.

8. deweybrunner

deweybrunner Legend

Feb 8, 2004
    Tell it all to those whiners. Patience is a virtue. Bitching helps nothing.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    DP+44 support will most likely be in the next version.

10. ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Seeing that I don't remember seeing your name here in the past, I'll take your comment with a grain of salt and consider the source...........

11. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I've had my 921 for about 3 weeks and had to power cord reboot it once. Other than that, it's performed great. People's expectations with new technology is always interesting. Even at $1,000 a clip, I don't expect things to be perfect right out of the box (so the speak). I get a kick out of those who ***** all the time, yet hang onto their gear.

12. jcord51

jcord51 Legend

Feb 1, 2003
    ;) It's the nature of the beast. I remember all the problems with the original Dishplayer 7100 vintage, that unit turns out to be one of the best DVR ever made. It even had name base recording and searches :sure:

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I was *extremely* interested in reports about the 921. That's the model I was looking at for when I upgrade my system (Dishplayer based at the moment).

In short - for $1000 I *do* expect something approaching perfection. (Especially after all the delays - like they were hopefully testing and debugging things)

It's clear to me that in 4 years of incredibly shoddy software, Dish has learned nothing and they are going to lose me as a customer when I save up and upgrade to HDTV this year.

I've been a programmer for 25 years and if I put out software that still didn't work as advertised 4 years after release, I would never have made it this long. I mean, for crying out loud, they can't even display the song information correctly on the Sirius channels..

The only reason I'm hanging on to my gear is that it's the most cost effective until I can take advantage of another "new subscriber" promotion from the competition.

I was an E* cheerleader for a LONG time but no more - and I haven't been for over a year.

14. angiodan

angiodan Godfather/Supporter

Sep 2, 2002
    I love the 921 for sat based recordings, but because of the OTA bugs, I'm extremely bummed out that I can't watch the Stanley Cup finals in HD on ABC.

I was really hoping the OTA bugs would haved been fixed by now. But I still wouldn't get rid of it!! And with the name based recording coming out in the fall, I'll probably upgrade one of my 721's for another 921 when I add a second HD set in the house.

15. deweybrunner

deweybrunner Legend

Feb 8, 2004
    Stanley Cup playoffs are great in hd on abc here in Tampa. All networks coming in strong. A few more bugs yet to be ironed out and features we need. love my 921!

16. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    We're getting there, slowly but surely. I appreciate the dedication that the engineers over in the UK are showing and the long hours they are putting in, and I do hope that we can eventually get to the point where all of our complaints are minor or just nitpicks with the way things work. We aren't there yet, but hopefully at some point we will be.

I do agree, though, that this seems a sort of glacial process, in terms of number of defects repaired per week. As a software engineer, my experience has been that myself and folks on my team can fix about 2 - 3 minor defects per engineer per week, or 0.5 - 1 major defects per week. So if we have, say, 5 engineers working on a product, we can reliably fix at least, say, half a dozen defects a week. If it takes longer than this, it's usually because the problem is very difficult to reproduce or the correct environment isn't available to do so. Unfortunately, I fear this may be the case for the 921, where it's hard to get a good approach on an issue because everything is simulated or mocked-up in some fashion. This really slows things down, because every fix then has to be sent to an external source (e.g. Mark) for verification. Oh well; not much they can do about it.

17. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    I don't care how many they can analyze, fix and unit test.

The question should be - How much regression testing are they doing before they dump it on us ?? My 921 has been degrading ever since L182 and now with L184 it is equal to an 811. If I ever get this thing fixed I will decline further 'upgrades'.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Quite a bit of regression testing is going on. That's why you didn't get DPP44 support in L184. That's why you didn't get some of the OTA fixes in L184. That why you didn't get a number of other things in L184.

It is not possible for L184 to be worse than L182 from the software side. If your 921 is worse under L184 than it was under L182, then something on your end has changed, either with your specific 921 or with your satellite setup, or with what your local station are broadcasting. The software did NOT cause it, because the software is almost exactly the same as L182.

19. TedKaz

TedKaz Mentor

Mar 1, 2004
    I turned off my 921 while it was tuned to a Sirius channel. When I turned it on the next day I heard music but no video signal at all. I couldn't get the guide up or get out of the Sirius channel. I did the power-cord reboot to get everything back to "normal". This was under software version L184.

20. deweybrunner

deweybrunner Legend

Feb 8, 2004
    Ted, this has happened to me three or four times. I don't remember what i did, however, i got it out without a re-boot;;just pushing buttons etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.