921 - L186 Software Release Notes

Discussion in 'DISH™ Software Release Notes Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Just got this in early this morning. Here's the official release notes for L186:

1. Support added for the DishPro+44 switch.

2. Support added for a cascaded DishPro 34/DishPro 21 switch configuration and for a cascaded DishPro+44/DishPro 21 switch configuration.

3. Support added for the DishPro+ Twin LNB.

4. Fixes for OTA channel losses (ie "Channel Not Found..." messages.

5. Some Timer fixes, although there are still a few issues being investigated and tested.

6. Fix for Auto-Tune/VCR timer bug with analog OTA stations.

7. Support added for the DishPro+ Separator - the device that lets you connect one satellite line from your DP+44 switch to your 921 to connect both tuners.

2. leemathre

leemathre Legend

Sep 25, 2003
    Thanks for the update Mark. The info about support for the DPP44 is good news. I have both a 721 and a 921. With this new switch I should be able to get rid of a couple of runs.

3. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I had heard of a new dishpro plus lnb that will do the same thing as the new DPP44 switch does now, would be coming. I am more interested in the DPP lnb for doing this. I don't really care for external switches. I already have the terk ota antenna clip on to my dish and have the cables run into that , I really don't want to try to figure out how to run a switch in to that on top of the terk ota antenna switch.

I wonder when the DPP lnb will be coming out?

4. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    "4. Fixes for OTA channel losses (ie "Channel Not Found..." messages."

That's correct for the message, but I still have no channel 10-1, nor channel 13-1. These stations do not send PSIP. I used to have them but now, after L186, while I can scan and add them the screen is just blank, no sound. They do list as locked and good signal. They used to list as a channel number only but were not remapped to another channel. The 10-1 and 13-1 are DT frequency assignments and are ABC and NBC respectively.

Mark- Can you find out whether PSIP is now a requirement to receive OTA channels on the 921? Seems odd that these two channels were the ones with the problem of being lost with L186 and those are the only stations here not sending PSIP. I will be contacting our local engineer about this as well.

5. onethree

onethree Mentor

Jul 4, 2004
    I have a similar problem after 186. Channel 34 KOCB OKC DT 33 does not send PSIP info and I can not view this channel. Signal strength is 125 and is locked and acquired but no picture.

6. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    Well, it must be this "fix" that broke my ability to tune KTTV in Los Angeles. It can be added to the guide, it does broadcast PSIP, but when tuned to, I get the message that the channel can't be found. I know that another user indicated he can receive this channel. I used to be able to tune to it. But 186 took care of that. Must be something unique to my machine that allowed this station to break while another user's ability to get this station didn't break with 186. Time for a new 921 to replace this unit that is already a replacement for the first unit I had.

7. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    IF you cascade a DP21 and DP+44 does that give you 5 satellites now? If so that would solve just about every possible problem at this time (i.e. someone that needs 121 for locals/international, 119, 110, 61.5 sky angel, 148/105 for locals).

Does the support also include the splitter? So, we can just run one line from the DPP44 to the 921 now and use the DPP splitter?

8. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    The splitter wasn't specifically mentioned in the release notes that I was sent, but I would assume that the splitter is also supported now.

And I would also assume that the cascaded DPP44 and DP21 is for a 5 sat configuration. I personally don't have any of this equipment, so I can't confirm or deny.

9. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Anyway you can get clarification on the splitter (I ordered one anyways, but it would be nice to know before it gets here, I plan on moving the second sat feed to a different reciever once the splitter works)?

10. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Messages away. I'll let you know what I hear back.

11. rbyers

rbyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Jerry, I get digital Fox11 just fine. Are you talking about fox digital or analog. I have a similar problem with Ch 2-1, but it works if I try to access it from another OTA channel. One problem with the 921 seems to be that channel access is slow. My MITS box was much quicker. The 921 timeout seems to be a little to short. KCET seems to be one of the quicker responding channels. Try accessing Fox from KCET.

12. pculley

pculley AllStar

Dec 23, 2003
    I'm glad some fixes were implemented; I vote for a couple of usability fixes next (as well as further robustness fixes).

1) fix the tuner conflict code so we can do something else after starting a manual record on an OTA channel.
    2) fix the favorites so we can add OTA.

13. HD921

HD921 AllStar

May 1, 2004
    I think the 921 is a very reliable reciever. I have had mine 4 months and have yet to experience all the problems everyone is talking about. I think this forum has a bunch of winers. Everyone was talking about puliing the plug and smart for the 186 upgrade all I did after the software downloaded and I was ready to turn in is turn the reciever off next morning when I turned it on 186 upgrade was installed without any problems. I think most people are to impatient.

14. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm glad you had a pleasant experience! I would also be happy to trade experiences with you.

I have pemanently lost a number of channels after the L186 release. How is that being impatient? How many days should I wait to try to get them back? Are you telling me that this message board, with a charter of logging bug reports shouldn't exist because it encourages what you are calling whining? Maybe you meant we drink too much wine by calling us "winers", you should check your spelling and punctuation.

The purpose of this board to to describe problems, and provide feedback.

15. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    I think it's marvelous, fabulous, fantastic, extraordinary, and just heavenly that you have a perfectly satisfyingly 921 and that you're at peace with the world and everything else because of your blissful state.

After over 6 months, I still can't receive some of my local OTA DTV channels that every other STB I've had receives without difficulty. After over 6 months, I still can't record our local PBS. I guess you were so lucky that you never lost a timer with the previous software versions, unlike so many of the rest of us. But I guess we're just whiners who are terrible people for expecting basic functionality in a $1000 machine after 6 months of waiting.

BTW, "to impatient" is incorrect. It's "too impatient". With more time and patience, you'll learn the difference between "to", "too", and "two". Have a nice day.

16. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    "I think the 921 is a very reliable reciever. I have had mine 4 months and have yet to experience all the problems everyone is talking about. "

ROFLMAO! You know what's so funny? I believe you just earned the title of the first member of the "921 head" or "HD921" for short. I hereby nominate you as the 921 poster child.

Hey, all kidding aside, do you really believe that we accept you use your 921 and haven't experienced any malfunction? Maybe you meant you don't experince ALL the problems but do experience, say, 90% of them. I think most of us have had some range of issues but none have had them all in one receiver either.

17. sgt940

sgt940 Legend

Jan 9, 2004
    Mark, last week you made the comments you had a lot more to say about the OTA situations but could not talk about it until this week. Well this week is almost over so out of curosity can you talk about it? I would be interested to hear what your thoughts were last week.

18. jsa_usenet

jsa_usenet AllStar

Oct 7, 2003
    Now that the 921 has support of the DP+44 switch, what do people
    recommend as the "optimal" three receiver, three sat configuration,
    with two of the receivers requiring either two feeds or one DP+44-type feed?

19. tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    You have got to be kidding, or a troll...

20. Anthony Falcone

Anthony Falcone AllStar

Dec 19, 2003
    I've had my 921 only for about a week with no problems so far . BUT, I haven't hooked up the OTA yet and don't need to for a while . I seem to see fewer posts about missed timers, need to reboot, etc.

Are most of the problems still to do mainly with OTA ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.