921 - L211 Software Release Notes

Discussion in 'DISH™ Software Release Notes Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Here it comes, folks!

First, I don't have the release notes yet. These should be quite extensive, so I really don't see having them before this afternoon.

But, while I wait for the official version, here are a few highlights from my personal experience.

First, the caveats:

1. After L211 downloads, if your 921 doesn't reboot on it's own, reboot it. Preferably by pulling the power cord. At the very least by pulling the smartcard.

2. You will have to rescan all of your OTA channels. Assuming they are even still there after the download. If you skip this step, you are asking for problems.

3. After the download installs, you *MAY* only have 2 hours of guide data. The guide will populate with data overnight, but yesterday when this hit me, I was unable to get the data any sooner. So, if you fall into this group, please be patient. They were aware of this problem, but decided to send the software anyway rather than making you wait another week for release. This won't affect everyone - there were several in the beta group last night that had full guide data after about 45 minutes. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them.

4. Depending on what resolution you are outputting, you will notice that the video preview windows don't look right depending on what channel you are tuned to. Colors will be washed out, and there may be vertical lines through the preview picture. This is a result of the video driver that I've alluded to over the past couple of weeks, and is one of the fixes that we're still waiting for. It is a very well known and documented problem, and one that you don't need to file a bug report for.

5. To guarantee that your recorded timers show up in your DVR list with the correct program name, I would suggest that you redefine your timers using the new OTA guide data, when you have it available. From that point in, your recordings will be called out by station and program name, rather than just by station.

6. If you have local channel downmapping enabled, or if you have a digital OTA channel with more than one subchannel broadcasting the same programming (or even not, in the case of Salt Lake City), when you set up a timer from the digital channel guide data, the red dot in the guide may or may not display correctly on the channel that you selected to record from. For example, in Denver, we have channel 7-1 and 7-2 as our ABC channel. Both channels show exactly the same guide data. When I set a timer from the guide on channel 7-1, the red dot appears in the boxes for both 7-1 and 7-2. If I have my local channel downmapping on, I also have a channel 7 in the guide, and the red dot may show up on that channel box as well. Or any combination of the 3. To verify that your timer is set correctly, go in and edit it to make sure it's set for the correct channel, regardless of where the red dot is shown. This will get fixed, but wasn't deemed serious enough to delay the software any more than it's already been delayed.

7. It looks like the testers (me included) let one slip through the cracks that we should have caught. Don't define a timer for an OTA digital station/program from the SEARCH screen - doing so will instead record the program off of the Dish local channel. Thanks to Jim R for pointing this one out.

8. This just in - it's very likely that the L211 install process changed your display settings to 480p, assuming that you weren't using 480p by default before the download. If your picture doesn't look as good as it used to, or if your stretch modes aren't behaving like you are used to, check your display settings (Menu-6-9).

Now, what's new?

1. OTA digital guide data. The data is mapped over from the Dish local channels, so if you are in a market that doesn't have Dish locals, you unfortunately won't have guide data. According to Dish, you must be subscribed to your local channel package to receive the guide data for your OTA digital channels. For those of you in markets with multiple sub-channels that broadcast different programming on the sub-channels, you will only have the guide data for the primary channel. Like the guide data on the HD-Tivo, this is a work in progress, and will continue to improve as the source of the data improves. And, for those of you who subscribe to local channels in one DMA, but pull digital OTA channels from another DMA, you will not receive guide data for the out-of-DMA channels.

2. Local channel downmapping. This is activated or deactivated in the Preferences screen, and will take your Dish local channels and remap them from the 7000 or 8000 channel range down to your standard single or double digit channel numbers in your local market. Note, you can either choose to have your Dish locals downmapped OR choose to have analog OTA channels scanned in. Not both, as the channel numbers would conflict. The default is to have local channel downmapping turned on if you have no OTA analog channels scanned.

3. The OTA system has been reworked so that most (if not all) of the PSIP generated problems should now be resolved.

4. When you're outputting 1080i, 720p source channels now display correctly in preview windows and in the transparent guide.

5. OTA locals can now be added to Favorites lists again, and this time they work!

6. Numerous timer fixes, recording fixes, aspect ratio fixes, preference fixes, etc... On and on and on. We'll see what Dish wants to release for an official fix list.

7. Teach IR feature has been added to the Diagnostics page (Menu-6-5). You can now use this feature to teach your learning remote the IR codes from the 921, without having to use another Dish remote.

8. I don't know if the Blue Line bug has been fixed or not. We've gone through several new video driver versions, and I haven't seen it in awhile, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's fixed completely.

9. Pressing STOP no longer will stop recordings in progress UNLESS you are watching the program being recorded LIVE.

10. OTA digital Signal Strength meter added to the browse banner, so that when you tune to an OTA digital channel, you will see the signal strength of that channel.

11. Audio sync and delay resuming playback from a paused state has been fixed.

More later as I think of it and remember it, and as you ask questions that I can answer. Also, release notes will be coming later.

Click Here for Discussion

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey, well I'm at work as well... :)

CallerID fixes - I know there was some work done with callerid along the way in beta, but I can't say one way or the other because it has always worked for me. Let us know, will you? (and hopefully not in a bug report!)

4x3 displays - I only did very limited testing on the 4x3 modes on my 16x9 television, so I don't really know how they changed.

The reverting to 480p bug if rebooted set to 480i, once again I don't know. This one was never on any of our test scripts, so it's possible, but I don't have any information about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.