1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

922 can't connect to internet. Is Dish BS'ing me!?!?

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by labmansid, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 31
    labmansid

labmansid Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    I am a new Dish customer, and have a 922, 722, and a regular HD receiver installed for two weeks now. I have not been able to get the 922 to connect to the internet at all. In broadband setup, it shows connected via ethernet and DHCP is OK, but server and internet connection always show failed. I get valid IP, MAC, and Subnet addresses, and the TX and RX numbers change often.
    My Linksys WRT54G router is in another room and is hooked up to the 922 directly via an ethernet cable. My 722 is connected via a wireless gaming adapter. The 722 connects fine this way, and I am able to control/access it fine via Dish Remote Access. However, the 922 refuses to cooperate. I have checked the ethernet cable by hooking my laptop to it (with the wireless turned off, of course), and it connects to the internet fine on it. I have taken the wireless adapter off of the 722 and connected it to the 922, and still nothing. I hook it back up to the 722, and the 722 still works on it. I have restarted my 922 and router numerous times. BTW, my 922 has updated to the latest software, S108. Did not help.
    I have done everything Dish support has asked me to try on at least two separate live chats/calls. During one call, the tech asked if my 922 was plugged directly into the wall outlet. When I told her it was plugged into a UPS/battery backup, she said that must be the problem, these units have to be plugged into the wall. So now it is plugged into the wall directly, and still no connection. Not sure why that would be a problem anyway with an ethernet connection.
    They sent out a tech yesterday to check it out, and he confirmed with tech support on the phone all the settings. We even doublechecked my internet connection speed, and switched ethernet ports on the router. Finally, he relayed from support to me that Dish is having problems with their network, but only on the part that involves the 922 receivers. Said it has been down completely for several (3-5?) days and they hope to have it back up and running soon. I mentioned that this has been ongoing for me for two weeks now, but they had no explanation for that.
    I have been checking this board on an almost daily basis for some time now, and have not seen any mention of any one here having problems connecting with the internet on their 922. I am having a hard time believing that Dish is having that big of a problem with all 922's connecting.
    At this point having Sling capability and remote access is not a high priority, but I do want it to be ready for when I do need/want it to work. Does anyone here have any thoughts or suggestions on my problem? Is Dish tech support just full of it?
    Thanks in advance for listening and any help offered.

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 31
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Sorry to hear of your problem, when my unit was installed several months go the installer and I sat up an account via Dish with a password and e-mail address. Within 24 hours Sling was working.
    Have they tried another 922? Since you seem to have done your part with numerous checks and troubleshooting, one might suspect the 922 is at fault.
    Best of luck and post what ultimately is the fix, that way we all learn.:icon_da::new_smili:wizardhat

PS. I can believe Dish or Sling is having problems...since the launch they've had glitches, problems, etc. Hopefully this Sling stuff will be cleaned up soon.:icon_band:new_popco:wave:

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 31
    olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I just checked and for the second time today I was able to view my 922 via Dish Remote Access. I have done so almost daily for quite a while.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 31
    Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt Legend

Dec 11, 2004
    Since you are attempting to connect via ethernet and not slinglink powerline connection, disable DishCOMM. The 922 will always try to connect via slinglink using dishCOMM. I just noticed there was now an option in the DishCOMM menu to disable it. I think this is new with the latest S108 firmware release. Others have had problems trying to connect via ethernet. Try it, it can't hurt anything.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 31
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    DishCOMM is not the same thing as the homeplug(sling link) so disabling most likely won't make any difference. But it couldn't hurt to try anyway.

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 31
    labmansid

labmansid Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Well I tried disabling DishCOMM, that didn't seem to work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Do you think using slinglink would work, rather than trying to use an ethernet cable?

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 31
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    By any chance is your router filtering access by MAC address?

You might need to change something in your router to ensure your 922 is able to connect.

8. Aug 2, 2010 #8 of 31
    Replay

Replay New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I am new here and also a new Dish customer for about a month now. I have a similar problem as OP.

I was able to watch live TV via dish.com (DISH Remote Access) since the 1st day of installation. It just stopped working this weekend. My receiver is also showing S108. The website keeps saying that my receiver is offline under "MY DVR" & "Preferences/Receivers/Receiver Settings" page (tried Firefox & IE on Vista & Win7). I've done the usual receiver and router hard reboot per tech support. I have the same LAN setup since day 1. I didn't have to set up any port forwarding, virtual server, mac filtering, etc.. and no recent config changes on my router and Windows PCs either. Just to test, I've tried port forwarding 5001 UDP & TCP to the 922...Same results.

My home network:

Xbox360 & Vip922<--->Linksys WRT54G/DD-WRT client bridge<~~~~~>D-Link DIR-655<------>cable modem<---->cloud

My 922 has network/internet connectivity. The 360 connects to Xbox Live and the 922 Menu/Broadband setup indicated internet connectivity status is ok (not failed). I can still watch live TV via the Mobile SlingPlayer on my Sprint 3G (SERO HTC2 Win6.5 cooked) and when my HTC2 is connected to my local wireless network. I can also still watch live TV using the SlingPlayer v2.0.3.508 on my Windows desktop and laptop and when the PCs are tethered to my HTC2 Sprint 3G internet access.

Dish Tech Support told me to call them back after a week if the problem still persist. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9. Aug 2, 2010 #9 of 31
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Are you logging in through your account at Dish ? if not try that.

:icon_peac:beatdeadhorse::new_smili

10. Replay

Replay New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Yeah, I logged on to Dish.com using my account. I wouldn't be able to access "MY DVR" & "Preferences/Receivers/Receiver Settings" if I didn't.

11. Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt Legend

Dec 11, 2004
    I realize DishComm is not the same as slinglink. It allows Vip receivers to connect with each other through the house powerlines. All I know is when I disabled DishComm I lost my slinglink connection. I enabled it and connection returned, so it is related to the powerline connection in some way.

Trying a slinglink adapter would be worth a try. Dish recommends a Slinglink Turbo adapter, but I have used a Netgear Homeplug adapter as well. Turbo unit is somewhat faster. Homeplug is built into the 922, just be sure it is plugged directly into an outlet without surge protection. One Homeplug adapter with a cat5 to the router is all that's required.

12. slingvip

slingvip New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I am having the same problem with my 922. The techs keep saying its a know issue but haven’t seem to fix the problem yet. It has to be on their side of things because I have a valid IP etc. But while connect to my local network I am able to view TV through a version of the sling player application, but cannot view from their website. Once off my locale network I cannot view with sling player app nor website.

13. Replay

Replay New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    It looks like they fixed the problem on their end. I can watch live TV again on their website.

14. labmansid

labmansid Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Well I had a chance to play with the 922 some more last night. I managed to find an adapter that allowed me to hook up the 922 directly to my internet cable, bypassing everything else temporarily. With no router in the loop, lo and behold the 922 showed as connected on all three counts! Of course, I had no way to test it out, since then I had no computer connected to the internet. Once I went back through the router, it dropped the connection again. In fact, I had to reset it just to reestablish the HDCP connection. So, it appears at this point that the 922 does not like to play with others. :nono: I would hope that I don't have to buy one of the Dish recommended routers for another $150-200 just to get this thing connected. I do really like the 922 overall, so hopefully these bugs will get ironed out soon. Just curious now, what kind of router do you guys find that works on this thing?

15. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Glad to hear of some process, I use a Airport extreme coupled to a Netgear GS605NA Giga Switch 5Port, it links to my TV, Blu-ray and the 922, I'm hard wired to the video equipment, wireless to my computers, works great.
    Best of luck.

16. jikhead

jikhead Mentor

Jun 22, 2010
    I use a Linksys router and didn't have any issues when hooking it up; nor did I have to access the router settings to do anything for the 922. Perhaps you should check your security settings on your router.

17. slingvip

slingvip New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Mine is back up and working as well with both sling player app and website. I am running a Belkin router.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Did you ever look at your router config as I suggested earlier in the thread?

Your router may be blocking by MAC address and not allowing your 922 to connect to the internet.

19. labmansid

labmansid Cool Member

Nov 19, 2005
    I had checked my router settings several days ago before I posted, and tried to make sure anything was disabled that might block access. I'm not sure about the MAC address issue offhand. Is there something in particular I should be looking for in that setting? I'll check it when I get back home this evening. Thanks for your help.

20. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Every router has a different interface... so it's hard to say exactly... but something like "Filter by MAC address" would be good to look for... possibly in the firewall config area of the router.

I've seen situations where a router was configured only to allow "known" MAC addresses to connect, so a new device would semi-connect...

I mentioned this because it sounds like you've covered most of the other usual suspects.