942- L289 Release Notes and Discussion

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Jon Spackman, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1 of 32
    Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    So far so good for me with L289 on both my 942's. I have not had any issues with it.

Here is the official info from my source:

the main fixes/changes that the user would see.

Fix for off-air channel scan caused reboots
    Fix for reboot when watching an off-air channels
    Added support for 6th Satellite
    Added support for DPP33 switch
    Added support for 118.7 satellite
    Fix for stuck 015 pop-up (acquiring satellite signal)
    Fix for off-air recordings showing title as 'Recovered'
    Added 'Please Wait' to the logo screen when coming out of stand-by
    Swap key toggles between the last two sort options in My Recording
    screen

Do you folks in Dallas/Fort worth area see an improvement on OTA reboot interaction?

2. Feb 1, 2007 #2 of 32
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Nice to hear it's coming. It's been a few months since we've seen notes for any DVR, and even longer for a non-DVR.

Could this thread be merged with the already existing Feature list for L289? thread?

3. Feb 1, 2007 #3 of 32
    RBenson

RBenson AllStar

Jan 24, 2003
    I have had several issues already with L289. First I lost all my search history (reboot did nothing). Second, while fast forwarding a DVR program, it locked up and has a frozen picture with the audio still running in the background. Stopped the DVR program and went to live and picture was still frozen with audio. Turned receiver off, waited a few seconds and turned back on and still had frozen picture with audio. Had to unplug receiver to reset and get working again. I have had no issues with my 942 recently until this update. Hope they haven't f*%ked things up again.

4. Feb 2, 2007 #4 of 32
    Tom-Tx

Tom-Tx Legend

May 23, 2005
    The only thing I noticed is that my OTA signals on all channels are now weaker than before and much weaker than on my 622. Some stations are now breaking up on the 942. Maybe the next 622 update will weaken that receiver as well. :nono2:

5. Feb 2, 2007 #5 of 32
    Moridin

Moridin Legend

Mar 21, 2005
    I also lost my entire search history, but I haven't experienced any of the freeze problems you describe. Also, my OTA signal strength seems unchanged from the previous SW version.

6. Feb 2, 2007 #6 of 32
    Thor263

Thor263 AllStar

Mar 5, 2005
    Funny thing for me is that the OTA is much better now. Signal strength numbers appear to be the same, but it doesn't flip into the "lost signal" screen as it would have in the past with the same numbers. My tv has never had a problem w/ these signal strengths so it's nice to see things more in line between the 942 and my tv.

7. Feb 2, 2007 #7 of 32
    jci-joe

jci-joe Mentor

Jun 28, 2005
    I do not subscribe to dish locals because I get them with my OTA great. I was receiving the program guide on these channels until 289. Dish sucks in that they make you buy the locals to get the program guide. I will try this for 3 months and i may be back to calble on a dish buyback program.

It can't cost dish that much to give us the local program guide.

8. Feb 3, 2007 #8 of 32
    worldtrvlr

worldtrvlr Cool Member

Sep 24, 2006
    With the latest upgrade, I now have various analog channels showing up on varying favorites lists, analogs that I never programmed. A reset fixes it for a few hours, but then it's back. When trying to alter favorites to remove the random analog channel, the receiver locks up and I have to reset again. Also, now when trying to create a manual schedule for a digital OTA, the receiver locks up and I have to reset. Both of these issues have happened multiple times since the software update. I wish I could have the old version back.

9. Feb 4, 2007 #9 of 32
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    One thing I like about L289 is DVR Sort now has DVR date directly underneath Alpha sort. I switch back and forth between Alpha and Date fairly often and used to have to go down several items to resort by date. I'd still prefer a number shortcut and hit 1 for Alpha, 2 for Date, 3 for Length, ... but having the two I use at the top is welcomed.

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Bill, the notes have been added to post #1 (thanks Jon & Dish!). You can use PIP Swap when viewing the DVR list without having to go into the menu.

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Thanks - Swap works exceptionally well for my needs. It has been a while on 942 release notes so I hadn't gone back to look for additions to the 1st post. I've also seen the "Please Wait" logo from Standby mentioned, but didn't think too much about it. I'll put a watt meter on the unit to see if they ever spin down the disk. We're probably due for another drive spinning debate!

12. adamhill

adamhill New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    I have nothing but major aggravation from OTA reboots, both before and after L289.

Any idea what causes it? It mainly occurs for me while watching HD "Heroes" and "Studio 60". But other HD shows cause no problems whatsoever.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgv!!!!!

13. mrplow

mrplow Mentor

Dec 10, 2004
    We had the same problems in Columbus, OH, I called the station, and they checked there equipment and found a bad card in one of there systems. Then Dish called them and helped the set up there HD. Now it works great. I would call your NBC station and have them call WCMH in Columbus, OH and they can tell how they fixed the problem.

14. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    Nice post!

15. tferrio

tferrio Mentor

Sep 5, 2006
    I am sorry to report that we had 2 reboots last night on Dallas channel 5, NBC OTA, watching Medium. I checked and 289 firmware has been loaded.

I respectfully submit that it should not be my job to try to explain to the station that they need to get their equipment fixed. Dish has all the details and should have a technical person who can explain it better than me.

Discord in our household is growing (with helplessly missing the last few minutes of Medium)... I rashly said that the new firmware would fix it, about 30 minutes before the first lockup, and I am now being told to find an alternative.

16. savecal

savecal Cool Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Hi All,
    I posted this in response to Jon's request for feedback on the reboots, but I thought I'd copy it here, too, just in case it gives some clues to the past problems with L289.

"Since day before yesterday, the issues I had with "bogus" OTA channels coming up in my program listings have disappeared, so someone has tweaked something. Also, the program guide before would jump to my lowest OTA channel (7) if I went out to the guide from the OTA channel I was watching. That has been fixed, too. So, everything is working as before the L288/289 downloads. No reboots, either."

Thanks one more time, Jon.

Rod

17. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    :D :D ;)

18. quellebeast

quellebeast New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I too have had this problem for a year.

NBC5 KXAS resets my 942 over and over.
    I have made them send me 4 new 942's over the last year-

THEY CLAIM TO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS !!!!

I worked for SBC DSL engineering for 5 years and we saw widespread problems like this on occasion that the general public was kept in the dark indefinitely on- I guarantee that somebody somewhere at dishnet knows about this problem.

I have threatened to go to the atty general and still no help from them...

19. PLHOG

PLHOG Cool Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Good grief. Maybe L289 didn't fix anything after all, and it was always a problem with the WCMH encoders. That could explain why we seem to be fixed in Columbus but the guys in Dallas are still crashing (the chief engineer at WCMH told me the DFW NBC affiliate uses the same encoders as WCMH).

20. PLHOG

PLHOG Cool Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I fully understand your annoyance with these guys. Nonetheless, calling the station is probably the fastest way to get it fixed.