1. mmpotash

mmpotash Cool Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Everything is now set up properly for my 942, thanks to other forum members ideas. But I'm not sure about the sound this receiver makes when it is not being used. When both TV1 and TV2 are off, and the 942 has no lights on but is still plugged in, it makes the same noise as when it is on. The unit stays slightly warm, and has a humming noise which sounds like a fan, plus clicking noise from the hard drive. While the noise is not loud, it seems strange to me it should make any noise at all when it is turned off.
    Is this normal? :confused:

2. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    I think that you can't turn the DVR 'off' but rather put it in 'standby' mode. This is so it can wake up and record things even though it is 'off'.

3. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, it is normal. All DVRs that I know of do this (TiVo, DISH etc.)

4. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2005
    Vermillion,...
    Correct. The unit cannot be turned off. It goes into standby mode where it will continue to record programs, download the program guide or new software and run maintenance and clean up tasks on the hard disk.

5. Dec 5, 2005 #5 of 14
    jackj

jackj New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Since it will still record eventhough you turn in "off", is this preferable for any reason? Will it help lengthen the life of the hard drive?

6. Dec 7, 2005 #6 of 14
    normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    When its in standby the disk will spin down until some activity requires it to run, such as a guide update, or to record a scheduled program. I think it will eventually go into standby on its own after several hours of inactivity. Where inactivity is probably measured as no channel changes, or detection of remote commands.

7. Dec 7, 2005 #7 of 14
    Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    I've not observed mine spin down. Right now, at 7:57AM I can hear mine seeking, and it has been in standby (with no scheduled recordings) since the 3AM reboot.

8. Dec 7, 2005 #8 of 14
    normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Is it really the Hard disk, or is it some cooling fan that cycles?

9. Dec 7, 2005 #9 of 14
    Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The hard drive makes more of a light grinding noise, the fan is more of a hum. I can tell the difference on mine. I never question or worry, as long as the unit works.:)

10. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    It's definitely the hard drive. The seek noises are very distinctive.

I'm not overly concerned about the hard drive spinning continuously. At work we've got thousands of PCs, and haven't seen any dramatic difference in longevity between the hard drives in machines that are powered up and spinning 24/7 versus those that only powered on a few hours a day during business hours.

11. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    I always assumed that standby is when the hardrive did all of the "housekeeping" functions like scandisk, defrag etc.

12. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The box is linux-based... it should only do that if needed on a restart after loss of power.

13. mmpotash

mmpotash Cool Member

Nov 11, 2005
    I think it needs to be off to download the Guide info.

14. azphi

azphi AllStar

Apr 1, 2004
    I thought I would ask if you are using a diplexor? The reason I ask is because I had some problems not using the correct one. When I had the wrong diplexor on my 942 it was making some excessive noise. I installed the correct mghz (I think 950-2100 mghz) or something like that, and the excessive noise went right away.

LouPenya