1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

942 reboots every 4 hours, at 3, 7 & 11 am and pm

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Frustrated942User, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Frustrated942User

Frustrated942User New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    We have had problems since 10 minutes after the installer left our house. Our original install was done on 7/31 and at 11:00 our 942 receiver shut down all by itself. It then went through a rebooting that went on for over 30 minutes, getting stuck on checking 2 of 5 and then going in a circle with the reboot process. When we called Dish, they assumed it was a receiver problem, so said they would ship us a new one. In the meantime, it finally rebooted. Guess what, at 3:00 it shut down and rebooted again, and then at 7:00 and then at 11:00 again, and has been rebooting every 4 hours on the hour since then. The reboot process takes anywhere between 10 minutes and 1 1/2 hours.

We received the new receiver on Thursday, installed it on Friday and it's doing the exact same thing. We've now had a total of 3 installers at our house checking what the one before them did, each one doing something a little different. We've had switches replaced, splitters replaced, and everything has been checked and double checked. We finally got a rep at Dish Technical Support to put us in contact with someone in the Advanced Technical Department that deals with the 942 receiver. That person thought that it was a programming problem. She then indicated that she'd have to put through an "uncommon trend report" to the programming staff and someone would call us in 24 - 48 hours. Once someone finally called us back, guess what.....he's sending out yet another installer. Not sure what he thinks the new installer is gonna do, since the last installer called Dish and worked with the TSR department who walked him through everything possible to double check. This last person we talked to insists it must be something wrong at our house and not the receiver or their programming. After all, a wire that is installed incorrectly can tell time and shut everything off every 4 hours, right? :nono2:

Of course, nobody can come out to do this until the 20th. So in the meantime, I hope there's nothing we want to watch anytime around 3, 7 or 11.

Has anyone had similar problems with their 942? Dish is insisting we're the only ones with this problem.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I think that you've gotton hit with 2 bad 942s here. What you describe is definitely NOT software, and shouldn't be happening.

Here's what you need to do:

Email me (email address is in my signature) your 942 receiver CAID number, smartcard ID number, name, phone number where you can be contacted, and all of this that you've gone through. I will forward that directly to the 942 support team who can authorize a replacement for you.

3. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Mark: Could it be receiver inactivity mode?

4. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Not with it rebooting, I don't think.

5. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    This sounds like a possible power problem. Do you have a UPS you could hook it up to? How about disconnecting the satellite connections once the unit has booted up and see if it still reboots itself at the 4 hour interval.

6. ThomasTrain

ThomasTrain Cool Member

Aug 9, 2005
    I agree, I'm leaning towards a power problem as well. I've got my 942 and both 721's on little UPS just to help stablize the A/C voltage and I have yet to see crashes due to power. Whats really cool is if the power does go out, my receivers and TV keep on working, at least for a little while.

7. Frustrated942User

Aug 10, 2005
    We have tried plugging it into other wall sockets by using an extention cord and still at 3, 7 & 11 it reboots. I can set my watch by it.

Any ideas on how to test if its a power supply problem.

Mark, I will be emailing you tonight.

8. Frustrated942User

Aug 10, 2005
    I'll try this tonight,Thanks

9. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    Another thought, especially if the receiver is in an enclosed cabinet, is a heat related issue.

10. pdougan

pdougan New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    This is a copy of an email that I sent Mark last night. I've found a temporary fix while tech support is swapping thumbs. My problem has been going on for over 70 days.

Mark, you can add my name to that list as my 942 is doing exactly the same thing and at the same times as Frustrated942User. Literally everything has been replaced by DN ... feed horns, switches, cable, connectors, and another 942.

The last tech support to come out was the supervisor who re-inspected the entire system and said everything was up to DN specs. He called advanced technical support, and after a long discussion the ATS CSR they admitted that it was a software problem and would be fixed on the next software upgrade which was due out a week before last. Guess what ... it hasn't been released yet.

I've got a little better hardware background than most of the subscribers (SATCOM for thirty+ years and an Extra Class HAM for thirty years) and told the local techs that this is acting like a software problem, so I disagree with your conclusion that it couldn't be software. Frustrated942User only helps solidify my opinion as everything has been redone at their location and issued another 942 replacement that does the same thing. Unless there is some kind of production problem at the factory, there is not much more it could be.

BTW, though this is not a fix, it is a temporary solution. If Frustrated942User will hit menu as soon as the screen comes on trying to access the satellites then hit 6-6 to reset it to factory defaults It will stop the incessant rebooting sequences. They have to hit menu right away because if they wait, the unit will time out on the acquisition process and automatically reboot before the settings are reset. Now does it sound like a software problem? :) This process is a pain in the butt because after you do that you have to rescan the local channels if you are using an outside yagi antenna, change the aspect ratios, etc., etc.. If you've got anything schedule for recording, that has to be reset. But, it beats waiting for two hours or more of rebooting and trying to acquire the satellites. Still you can plan on missing the first 10- 15 minutes of the shows at 3, 7, 11.

Tech support has quit returning my phone calls. Needless to say, I am getting pretty pissed at DN. I'd switch to DirectTV if I knew the 942 would work on their system. The 942 is not a lease item yet so I spent over $700.00 to buy one. DN knows we are trapped and can't go anywhere, and their customer support reflects their attitude.

BTW, I called tech support at 2:00 PM today. It is now 4:30 and they still haven't called.

11. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    My 942 rebooted by itself tonight. It was in inactivity mode, and when I pressed the remote to watch tv, the box rebooted and then went to searching for satellite mode, passing tests 1 through 5. Before the reboot, I believe the 942 was tuned to an ota.

12. zephyr

zephyr Legend

Jun 25, 2005
    Are there any time signals passed over AC power? And if so, would the 942 receive them? Would any local power company or other appliance in the home be sending some sort of time or synchroniizing signal over AC, which the 942 is picking up? A UPS would isolate the 942. I'm wondering because of the very precise and repeatable times. The same question could be asked of satellite or OTA timing signals.

13. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    At about 3:20 EST, the screen froze while I was watching CNN (caller id pop up was on screen), then the box turned off, reset itself, then went through the searching for satellite signal. The box did tests 1 through5 successfully, and then CNN reappeared. The weather is sunny, in the 80s, and signal strength is excellent. What gives?

14. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003

Sounds like the box locked up, perhaps due to a bug. Everything you describe after that point sounds normal, i.e., the watchdog timer ran out and rebooted the box, as part of the reboot the receiver reacquired the signal, and then your programming reappeared.

15. djtowle

djtowle Mentor

Feb 2, 2004
    Do either of you with the 4hr reboot problems live near a navel-base? Airport? Airbase? Etc. Some of these bases emit some very wierd stuff momentarly thoughout the day. Often at the same time. I was working near the San Diego Naval base for a couple of weeks once, and if I was on my cell phone at a certain time of the day the cell phone would emit a screaming squeal. And then just shut off. I could then turn it back on and return the call but whatever they were transmiting just stopped the phone dead. It wasn't on all the time, but several times (different days) I got hit with this in the afternoon. Possibly around 3PM :).

Another culprit could be an appliance in your house, or a nearby house/building/factory sending something through the power lines, but I would assign this a much lower possibility.

Software/faulty unit I would assign the highest probability to.

Good luck tracking it down.

16. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Happened again today. Picture froze while on Channel 6007 (Sirius 70s). Unit rebooted itself.

17. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Happened once again today. This time, I was watching one of the religious channels for a minute or so, then I put in channel 205 (Fox News). The picture froze on the religious channel, with the channel number 205 showing under the picture in the guide. The unit reset itself, went through acquiring signal tests 1-5. Then, the religious channel volume went on and off, with the screen showing what I can only describe as digital snow. The remote would not respond, so I had to do a front panel reset. The box finally returned to normal thereafter.

18. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    jal, have you contacted tech support?

19. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Yes, I did so tonight, and they told me that others have reported similar issues. And, just to keep the reporting going, tonight the box rebooted itself again. This time, I was watching the news, I hit the DVR button. The box reset itself, went through searching for satellite, and then came back on.

20. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Funny , for the last two days I have had a problem with my ota stations suddenly losing their lock and pixelating and then I would hit the local menu to see if I could add the channel back in. Soon as I hit the locals menu, the receiver would reboot and it would take a while to come back.

This happened on my strongest station today on Cbs , signal 80 strength and it would flucuate wildly from 80 down to 71 and back. After the reboot I could add it back and the strength stayed at 78- 80 strength.

Yesterday it was the Abc station that normaly stays at 75 and it dropped down to 69 and then lost the picture. I did the same thing with the locals menu and it rebooted. Afterwards I added it back in and it stayed strong back at 75 .

I have been having more spontaneous reboots and this morning I was watching the last of " 6 feet Under" and when I hit delete the tv screen filled with white staticky picture like snow . I unplugged my tv and replugged it in and it stayed the same. I had to do another reboot of the 942 to get my picture back. The sound worked fine through out the staticky picture.

It seems that the 942 has more bugs than we thought when we first got it. The more they do software updates to fix something it seems to create more hidden problems. Still In all , it beats the **** out of the 921 .:sure: