1. darth

darth Cool Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Dish "upgraded" me from my old 921 to a 942 earlier this year . I loved the new features, but I have had 3 replacements since. The last one experienced a hard drive failure in less than a month. The newest one has a "reacquiring satellite" about every hour or two interruption while viewing or recording. Dish finally sent out a tech who confirmed that my dish, cables, signal, etc. were fine an again, it is the receiver at fault. He stated that the 942 was junk and that Dish had nothing but trouble with this receiver. He said I should scream for a free 622 upgrade.

Comments?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you subscribe to the HD and VOOM packages, you're eligible for a free ViP622 lease upgrade. You should get your 942 replaced in any event.

3. darth

darth Cool Member

Apr 19, 2005
    I don't subscribe to either of these packages. I get great OTA HD on my regular channels.

Since I own my receiver, what wouldn't it cost me by going to a "leased" receiver?

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the 942 is your only receiver and you replace it with a ViP622, you would see an "HD enabling fee" of about $6 (assuming that you're not already paying it). If you have other receivers, you would see an additional $1 for the difference between the lease fee and an extra receiver fee.

5. darth

darth Cool Member

Apr 19, 2005
    If I read the Dish lease agreement right, it would appear that there is a monthly rental of $6 plus the HD enabling fee of $6 (which I don't now pay). So the "upgrade" to the 622 would add another $12 monthly fee!

I just realized that they packed on a $5.98 DVR fee when they "upgraded for free" me to the 942 from my 921. I wonder how they can legally do that when I didn't ask for it?

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I don't think that's the case if the ViP622 is your only receiver.I just realized that they packed on a $5.98 DVR fee when they "upgraded for free" me to the 942 from my 921. I wonder how they can legally do that when I didn't ask for it?[/QUOTE]You should have been paying a DVR fee all along on the 921.

7. darth

darth Cool Member

Apr 19, 2005
    You should have been paying a DVR fee all along on the 921.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I only have one receiver. I just checked with Dish and they told me that the upgrade to a 622 would in fact add another $12 a month to my bill. They are sending me a forth 942 in hopes that it will be a good one.

I was wrong about the DVR fee. Further checking revealed that I was indeed paying the DVR fee all along. Somehow, in December of last year the whole package fee was increased by about that much??????

BTW, I noticed that there aren't that many posts on this forum compared to the other receivers. Does that mean that there are not that many problems with the 942, or just that there are not that many units out there?

8. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    both, not many problems and not many 942s out there (compared to other models).

9. Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    My 942 has been rock solid:heart:
    I will be upgrading to the 622 in a couple weeks, I hope it's the same