1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99&103 fine tuning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by morgan79, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1 of 51
    morgan79

morgan79 Legend

Oct 9, 2007
    how do you fine tune these sats. i have a slimline 5 lnb..anybody have pics of what screws to loosen & fine tune with....thanks in advance..my 101 is in the 90's my 110 is in the 90's my 119 is in the 90's 99c is in the high 70's & low 80's same as my 103c....will fine tuning help this matter...

2. Aug 3, 2009 #2 of 51
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    They definitely need fine tuning. There is a video on this website www.solidsignal.com that should help. Check the technical support link. Good luck!

3. Aug 3, 2009 #3 of 51
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. Aug 6, 2009 #4 of 51
    O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    What are your 103s and 99s levels.

I have the same problem however I have some transponders on 130s and 99s levels in the mid 90's.

I have tried the dither method and just fine tuning with a helper watching the tv with no significant increase in signal.

5. Aug 6, 2009 #5 of 51
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This appears to be a common issue. Installers peak the dish to the KU band as it is easier to obtain and ignore fine tuning the KA Band as it takes a little extra work.

6. Aug 6, 2009 #6 of 51
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Fine tuning signal levels on the spot beam sats xxx(s) is a fools errand. You need to focus on peaking levels on the conus sats xxx(c). If you don't your going to be wasting your time.

7. Aug 6, 2009 #7 of 51
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There's a couple of reasons for this according to DirecTv engineering.

1) A meter that can identify DirecTv 10 & 11 directly would be prohibitly expensive.

2) Even with a Ka meter, DirecTv states that the sensitivty is not good enough to determine a true peak.

3) In one of their training videos (the one with the laser pointer) they demonstrate that just peaking the KU sats don't cut it. One needs to actaully follow the procedure they have put in place to ensure optimiziation of all the sats.

8. Aug 6, 2009 #8 of 51
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I don't have link, but I've seen the video and it is VERY informative.

9. Aug 7, 2009 #9 of 51
    O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    I think you missed the point.
    I tuned to the conus but could not get it above mid 70's but when I check the spot beams I have some in the 90's.
    How come I can't get the conus any higher but some of the spot beams are 90+?

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "simple", the spots are "hotter" than the CONUS. Same output power but focused to a narrower beam [area].

11. O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    Agreed. But if I can get that good on a spot. Shouldn't I be able to adjust and increase the conus. They both come form the same direction.
    In my last house I got mid 80's on the conus that was 5 miles east of where I am now.

I was thinking my dish is to low to the ground. It is pole mounted on the backside of a hill beside my house. But since I get great levels on the spots I think that is not the issue.

I also can't find which spot beam is used for Denver. The list on this site just has the SD channels listed.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If you're getting good levels off the spots, "you should be able to" fine tune the CONUS.
    If you only tune off the spots, then you can get a good level, but still be slightly off.
    Any chance of having a slight LOS issue?
    I had good levels off the spots, but not as good from the 99 CONUS and it was a tree branch.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Until you stop obessing about the spot beams, your not going to get anywhere. Forget the spots.

Now as for the conus. Is this the same dish & LNB that you had at your old house? If so, it's possible that the refelector may be ever so slightly bent from the move.

Considering the sat is 23,000 +/- miles out in space, it makes no practical difference if the dish is 1 foot off the ground or at the top of a 100 foot tower. What is important that there is nothing obstructing the line of sight from the dish to the sat.

Again, stop obessing about the spot beams. Whatever sat/transponder they are on today may not be the same one tomorrow.

14. O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    No tree branch but it probably just scraps across the top of the roof across the street.

I may raise it up a little and see if it changes.

15. O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    I am not obsessing about the spots as you put it. I am trying to use what info I have to diagnose the issue. If the spots are good it is my impression I don't have a LOS issue otherwise wouldn't they be affected as well?

This is not the same dish however the package was damaged when it arrived.
    I am concerned it is a little bent. But again wouldn't that affect the spot beams for the same dirction 99s vs 99c?

Also it does matter how high the dish is mounted when it is looking up a hill. As you stated it needs a clear line of sight and it might be a little low. It looks good when I stand behind it but it is really hard to tell for sure.

16. swillotter

swillotter Mentor

Nov 7, 2008
    does your dish have three bolts coming out of the arm in the back attaching the arm to the az/el or does it have four bolts on the side of the arm...the ones with three bolts in the back have a plastic piece which allows the arm to drop 2-3 degrees over the course of a few months and gives odd signal strengths when peaking the dish...i've been replacing at least 1 a day for the last few weeks. they started coming out with those bad dishes about 6 months ago i think

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I think you are missing the point. It's not just that the spots come from the same direction as the CONUS beams, many of them are actually on the same satellite. And they are basically useless as a diagnostic tool, because of course only one or maximum two are pointed at you, and if you are in the center of the spotbeam the signal levels will be high anyway. Because of that you could have what looks like a good level on "your" spotbeam and still not be exactly aligned on the sats. You need to get the best signals you can on the CONUS transponders and then the spotbeams will automatically be the best they can be.

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    General rule of thumb is you dont tweak a dish based on spot transponders, you peak it on one of the lower signal conus transponders. If your mount is plumb and your geometry is correct, peaking on a weak conus will bring all the others into place with the dithering adjustments.

19. O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006

Guys

I appreciate the help but you are not understanding the issue I have. You are trying to interpret why I am asking the questions instead of answering them. (See specific questions below)

The LOS looks good. I have great levels on 101, 110 and 119 (low 90’s to 100). 99c and 103c are in the mid 70’s.

I totally get to not peak the dish based on the spot beams and never have. This is not my first rodeo. I have installed all my dishes since the first in 98.

What I am trying to determine with the spot beam info is do I have as LOS or other issue I cannot easily see that may be affecting the CONUS beams. I have 4 spot beams in my area (Denver, Cheyenne, Colorado Springs and Pueblo). Since those will be aimed slightly north or south of my location is might help determine if I have something blocking my LOS that I am not taking into consideration. My dish is mounted on a pole beside my house about 6 feet below street level. The LOS is real close to the garage roof beside me and the house across the street.

If I have good spot beam would it make sense I have clear view for CONUS? (My highest spot beam is 103s TP 15 at level of 92.)

Would a bent dish give me that kind of disparity between the 2?

I tried today to raise it about 6 inches but no difference at all in levels at all not even 1 point.. If it was one of the roof tops I would have expected a few points of change.

20. O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    My dish mounts to the tilt/LNB bracket with 4 bolts then the tilt/LNB bracket mounts to the az/el with 3 bolts. 2 at the top and one centered at the bottom. Sounds like you are describing except the only plastic is the LNB it self all other are steel.

I bought the dish off of E-Bay a year ago.