1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Circuit Allows Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Dec 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    A 3 judge panel rules that the federal government has no authority under the interstate commerce clause as long as the pot isn't sold, taken across state lines or used non-medicinally.

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1071687051305730.xml?oregonian?fpfp

Did I hear the other day the 9th circuit gets overturned about 75% of the time. I think I heard it on the radio one afternoon.

I really don't care one way or the other. If the govt. makes it legal, tax it, and if anyone is caught abusing it or is involved in a traffic related offense, throw the book at them.

2. Tomsoundman

Tomsoundman Godfather/Supporter

Jun 17, 2002
    Anti drug commercials everywhere then they do this?

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Is it me, or the 9th Circuit court its own little back door to the law. We don't need a an executive or legislative branches as long as they are here. Imune from elections too.

4. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    A 3 judge panel rules that the federal government has no authority under the interstate commerce clause as long as the pot isn't sold, taken across state lines or used non-medicinally.

Basically the 9th court UPHELD states rights.

All those that lament the Texas Sodomy decision and activist judges should be jumping up and down because this time the courts held that the states can make their own moral decisions.

But as others have said, this will probably be overturned.

5. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    9th circuit. Arent those the bozo's who wanted to remove the word god from the pledge?

6. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002

It was never in the Pledge to begin with. They are not removing it they are just returning it to how it was pre 1956.

7. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The 9th. has the highest reversal rate in the history of the country. What an accomplishment.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    The court didn't take "under god" out of the pledge. They just said that the pledge was not to be recited at public events because of the "under god".

9. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The 9th. has the highest reversal rate in the history of the country.

No, thats not true. As a RATE, the 9th wasn't the highest. The supreme court reviewed 80 cases this year. The 9th accounted for 24 of those, and 18 were reversed (75% reversal rate).

The 4th (3 cases), 5th (3 cases), 8th (1 case) and 10th (1 case) had 100% reversal rates this term. Obviously the difference however is in the number of cases reviewed by the Supreme Court.

The relevant statistic thus is that a case reviewed in the 9th circuit is twice as likely to be reviewed by the Supreme Court as one in other courts. However the most important statistic to consider is that the 9th decides about 5000 cases a year. If only 18 of those get reversed, that means 4983 of them stand, or better than 99% of them.

10. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Hair splitting and the point is made. The 9th Circus has that name for a reason and seems to have no problem proving it again and again.

11. rodb

rodb AllStar

Dec 5, 2003
    Danny R, you are confusing them with the facts.

Marijuana, there is a difference between use, and abuse.

12. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    ...Since they're mostly overturned.

I'd just ignore what they do until a higher court hears the case.

13. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The 9th's opinions are pretty meaningless... Since they're mostly overturned.

Again, over 99% of the 9th Circuit's opinions stand as written. Thats a big difference between being "mostly overturned".

14. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I guess I should have said of those that are appealed, 7 in 10 are overturned or sent back.

How's that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.