A bit OT: Adjusting Overscan and Centering

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by HobbyTalk, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    I know this may be a bit off topic, but I am using the HDNet test program. :)

I ran the HDNet test program and it shows a bit more overscan then it calls for and the centering is off a bit. Just found out my Panasonic set doesn't allow you to adjust either.

What I was wondering is how many brands out there allow you to adjust the overscan and centering?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I was able to make adjustments to my Toshiba through the service mode. Some TVs let customers do at least some level of correction through the menus... but most only allow the "good stuff" to be adjusted through the service menu since you can really screw things up if you don't know what you are doing. For that matter, even if you know what you are doing things can go wonky!

In my case, and perhaps all cases, adjusting the overscan also requires a lot of adjustment to the convergence as well... and this can be a painstaking and challenging thing that is also easy to get out of whack.

3. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    And, if you do go into your service mode, make sure you write down original numbers for any settings that you change. That way, if something is slightly off, you can put it back without resetting all defaults. On my Sony, resetting to default resets everything (including what I have named inputs, etc.)! I found a lot of help about service mode stuff from avsforums.

4. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Thanks for the info. It's not off that much and most likely I wouldn't even see the difference but now knowing it is off is just bugging me :)

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you have an LCD or a DLP set, there may be a mode in your setup that allows for a pixel-to-pixel display and this might eliminate the overscan. I am less familiar with adjusting those kinds of TVs... but if you have that kind of set there may be others who can confirm or deny what I am thinking.

6. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    It is plasma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.