A couple of ?'s after my install

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by bnewt, Oct 5, 2014.

1. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I had 2 hoppers & a wireless jey installed yesterday........and now I have a couple of questions

1. I am not able to access tuner 3 on either of the hoppers, can select tuner 1 or 2 with no problem, although during the install, I thought that the installer had tuner 1 & 3 in use while tuner 2 said it was downloading guide info

2. with the 722, you could select tuner 2 to be used for the recordings, but on the hopper you can't. If you select something to record, and then turn on the tv to watch something, does the system automatically select a tuner for you to use or does this have to be done manually

3. is there any way to remove the VOD selections from the guide

4. the joey does not show the phone line as being connected, but it shows when a call arrives

4. the joey does not show the phone line as being connected, but it shows when a call arrives

my wireless joey show a signal of 65, so I am pretty excited about that

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Tuner selection is pretty much automatic and relatively non intrusive.

I had some issues with tuner 3 showing up initially but it eventually did and is working fine.

3. Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    The tuners in the Hopper float so they are available for any live viewing or recording session and any TV can join an active tuner if it wants to, unlike the 722 where the tuner was assigned to a TV location. When you have two of the tuners active and you go to activate the third tuner do you receive an error message?

4. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I've been just "playing" around with the system. This a.m. I was just trying out the tuners, I was able to select tuner 1 & tuner 2......but when I tried to select tuner 3 I got nothing. I then set a couple of things to record & tried to view tuner 3 & still nothing

5. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    so you are saying that if I turn on the tv while a recording is in progress, the system will give select a tuner that is not in use automatically........and I won't have to manually select a tuner for live viewing

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Some of your questions here have been answered at the other site. When you press the Red button does tuner 3 say Guide Update or something similar? If so try a red button reset. I suggest waiting for 24-48 hours for the Hopper to fully load the guide data. PTAT you should wait 24 hours before activating..

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You can't explicitly select any tuner when it isn't in use... You can jump to any tuner that is tuned to something, but the inactive tuners are only engaged when needed...

So, the only way to truly engage all the tuners is to set some timers and force them in use by active recordings.

If you record something and then swap to the other tuner and record that... then go to the EPG and select a third different channel, that should engage the 3rd tuner. Are you saying this doesn't work?

8. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    thanks.........that's the type of information that I was seeking