1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A disturbing development in the war against SPAM

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by invaliduser88, May 11, 2004.

1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    http://news.com.com/2100-1024_3-5210518.html?tag=nefd.top

I don't like this one bit.

If a company wants to use a blacklist to filter SPAM as part of it's enforcement of proper email use, it should be able to use it whether or not the employee has opted in for the spam.

2. MikeSoltis

MikeSoltis Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    Well, that's a damn shame. I don't fault SpamCop at all (I use it myself and have been sending my spam to them regularly for a couple months).
    This is a bogus attempt, so that spammers can find out actual working emails, then just change ISPs (and/or company name) and then send spam to emails they know work....screw that.
    His complaint about 'interfering with his business' holds no water with me. Didn't the telemarketing industry already try that with regards to the 'Do not call' list?

3. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    In our organization, the computers and network being company property, we require our employees to acknowlege our corporate right to block any traffic we deem to be inappropriate. I use SPamCom on our email server. If they are forced to to delete the OptinBig site, I'll simply put it in as a local entry.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    See www.deepspacefranchise.net .

Right now, I cannot fully express my fustration with unsolicited commercial e-mail as both a end user AND a CSR. The spammers are quickly rendering one of the best forms of communication useless. When they wrote the initial specs for e-mail handling on the Internet, nobody had this in mind. And please, don't utter first ammendment or free speech at me. The first ammendment applies only to the United States. I have lost track of the time I have spent cleaning out customer's mailboxes.

There is a special account that I use for testing purposes when trying out various programs and gathering screen captures. Last time I looked, joeuser never opt-ed in to any mailing lists.

5. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Without spam though, how will we know about all the lastest drugs and money making opportunities. However, I wonder if we can do the drugs while we make money from home. :D

6. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Spam is becoming so invasive its almost impossible to keep up with it. Our company uses a program called Postini,, works like a charm. It splits mail into spam and possibly infected mail and retains it on the server while delivering a msg to user that they have suspect email. This keeps it out of their inboxes. Users can then logon to postini account and authorize or automatically delete what they want. No violations of free speech because mail is not blocked, just filtered from end user, with user have full control.

7. ERSanders

ERSanders Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    The last I knew the liberal judges in north ex-hippyland (or anywhere else in the country) have no jurisdiction over New Zealand, That's where I get my spam blocker, Mailwasher. See: www.firetrust.com, both pay and free versions. It also interfaces with the SpamCop database and several others.