A guide question..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ddrumman2004, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    I have lost power a few times this morning due to storms and each time, our H20-100 has to "acquire" guide data. So this got me thinking.

Just where is the programming a subscriber receives, stored? Must not be in the receiver itself...right? Just where does the receiver download the data from?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You should get a UPS if you lose power that often.

3. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    The guide comes down the sat data stream. If you reboot twice within 20 minutes, the guide is completely reloaded. This may take 24 hours.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's true, but even one reset gives you the "Acquiring guide data" message at the end of the restart process.

5. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    We don't lose power that often. The weather here has been pretty rough this morning and the power just goes off for maybe half a second, enough to restart the receiver.

But I have always wondered where a subscriber's programming data is stored.

So if the guide data comes downstream in the satellite feed, is it stored on the satellite? There are several satellites up there so....

I would think that "list" of channels a subscriber receives would be stored in the receiver or on the card? Don't mean to ask so much...just always wondered!

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    SATs don't "store" anything. It's not in their nature.
    There is a constant guide data feed that the receivers get. This gets stored on either flash memory [non DVRs] or part of the drive for DVRs.
    favorite channel lists are in flash, but series links are on the drive.
    Anytime the receiver reboots, it will check the guide data as it doesn't know how long it was off and needs to update the first few hours.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's the exact scenario for which a UPS is recommended.

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    You only have to lose it "one more time" and be faced with far worse problems. Would you run a computer without a UPS? (one hopes not). These things are very much a computer, and the hard drives are vulnerable, not to mention the other electronics. For the paltry investment of $40 or so, you not only get protection from the one second (or less) winkies, you get surge protection on top of it.

When the power goes off for "just a second or so", you would cry if you saw what the voltage was actually doing as it was trying to come back up. The power supplies in these units are no where near as robust as most computers, so hitting them with glitches isn't going to add to their lifetime.

I have 4 UPSs on my HT setup alone, and one on every computer in the house. If nothing else, put one on your DVR(s), and at least we won't cringe when reading your requests for help.:) <tongue firmly placed in cheek, so please don't take offense).

9. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Unless he has a laptop (internal battery) we may not see any requests for help when his computer also bites the dust. :D

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Excellent point!