1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help with updating my DEEP antennae setup?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by John Womack, Sep 22, 2017.

1. John Womack

John Womack New Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Dear antennae people:

I have decided to upgrade my old antennae system after Hurricane Irma. I took down my installation beforehand, so no damage from the Hurricane….

My prior setup included:

1. Channel Master, Masterpiece 100 Ant.

2. 50 foot telescoping ant. Pole. w/ 9 guy wires.

3. *Antennae Craft, Permacolor VHF/UHF/FM (pre) Amplifier, Model No. 10G212, 30db max, 20db min, (it has a variable gain control at the power injection site, very convenient)

4. Motorola, Broadband Drop Amp Model No. BDA-S4, (a 4 Output distribution amp with about +7db)

5. RCA Programmable Outdoor Antenna Rotator with Remote (VH226F) (apparently this has no brake, the wind occasionally blows it around)

Other configuration details:

The business part of the two piece pre-amp was mounted within two feet of the antennae directly on the pole. Then the coax traveled approx. 60 feet down the pole and to the distribution amp mounted under the porch and inside a somewhat weatherproof box. The pre-amp power injector was also in the box. From there I had three TVs hooked up inside the house at distances of approx., 65 feet, 40 feet and 35 feet.

Installed 4 years ago and used for approx.. two years with fair success. Never picked up the 100 mile stations that Masterpiece 100 claims, but I figured my limited knowledge and budget handicapped me. At some point decided to go back to cable, because I was not getting my football games anymore.

* Also, at some point I found that the pre-amp was no longer working properly, it was not affected by the variable controller so I abandoned the Ant. altogether until I could re-address my setup, etc. when my budget allowed. So now it is down, maybe I can get those DEEP channels with the correct setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, here is my station proximity from TVFOOL.COM:

TV Fool

DanFortPierceFL

PS;

Oh yeah, I am also considering putting a CB antennae on the very tippy top of the pole for my old truck CB.(A very expensive 10 meter 100 Watt radio that got very little use.) I know it will definitely interfere with TV reception when I key the mike, but I don’t care. I was wondering if anyone thought it might hamper TV reception, even when the CB is powered down?

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    What is the condition of your equipment if it is only 4 years old it may still be good.? I tried your TV Fool at 20 feet it didn't look like you need a 50 ft. mast. You also don't need a rotor your 2 primary broadcast locations are opposite each other so one location will probably get all your networks.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You'll need alot taller than 50 feet to get stations 100 miles away - curvature of the earth if nothing else. The mileage ratings on antennas is mostly marketspeak.

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    In the 4 years that you had your antenna up the industry has changed. Many of the products you have are no longer available. The industry has shrunk and broadcasters are changing their broadcast standards.

5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    An honest range for your TV antenna is a maximum of 70-80 miles and that might not be 100% solid reception.

6. jamelar

jamelar Cool Member

Dec 30, 2010
    IMO, you'll want to get a high pass filter for your TV antenna and a low pass filter for the CB antenna.
    With the transmitter power and close proximity to the TV antenna, you risk blowing the front end of your tv(s) without the filters.