1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A local teams/sports pack question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by tecumseh, Feb 16, 2009.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh Cool Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I live in Central Indiana. With the sports pack, I'm covered by:

Fox-Cincinnati, Fox-Midwest and CSN-Chicago

Prior to this season, I've always received the Chicago Blackhawks as my local NHL team and, in spite of fact that the St. Louis Blues games were available to me via cable through Fox-Midwest locally, they were blacked out on FSW-MW via DirecTV.

This year, however, I've noticed that the Blues games ARE available live. But so still are the Blackhawk games. I was always under the impression that in areas like mine, where a particular team is not actually a local, per se, that only one NHL team was the claimant for the area. Have I been wrong about this?

A couple of additional things; the Indiana Pacers are, of course, my local NBA team, and are broadcast to me live on FOX-MW. Chicago Bulls games, via CSN-Chicago, are blacked out. Further, even though the Columbus Blue Jackets are occasionally, I believe, broadcast also on Fox-Cincinnati, those games are still blacked out, which would seem to conflict with the whole Blues/Blackhawks reception.

While I'm a hardcore baseball fan and understand, sadly, the circus that is the current MLB policy on blackouts, I'm only a casual hockey/basketball fan. But I also thought the NHL/NBA territory policies were much more straightforward. Could anyone shed some light on this? I would appreciate any insight!

2. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Go to www.directv.com/rsn and enter your zip code to find out what teams are available in your area with or without the Sports Pack.

As far as the NHL goes, I get the Blackhawks, Wild, and Blues in Des Moines, so you can have more than one NHL team.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Here is what it says on D*'s site for your zip code.

FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 661) - HD Available
    Reds (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 665) - HD Available
    Cubs (HD Available)

White Sox (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 671) - HD Available
    Indiana Pacers (HD Available)

St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

4. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    As for baseball, Cubs, Sox, Brewers, Cardinals, Twins . . . and does anyone know what's happening this season with the Royals? Even with MLBEI it seemed their games were unavailable in Des Moines.

5. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    MLB is nuts with regards to blackouts. I am in Arkansas, a St. Louis Cardinals "home" area. I can subscribe to the Sports Pack and get Fox Midwest (my free network is Fox Southwest) and see many STL games. I can get MLB EI and see lots of other teams. Ultimately, though, some dinky station that I can't get can buy a Cardinals game and I won't get it despite subscribing to the Sports Pack and MLB EI. It's craziness. MLB's blackout rules make about as much sense as Congress.

6. Spiffyis5150

Spiffyis5150 New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    I live in Tulsa and I'm in the exact same situation. Among other reasons of moving from Cox to Directv was that I can at least get more games on Fox Sports Midwest(I've also got Fox Spts SW which SUCKS even for free) and get to see all the pre-game/postgame talk about the Redbirds. Cox would occasionally rebroadcast the Fox Channel 5 Cardinals games, but it wasn't nearly enough and I just got sick and tired of seeing Astros and Rangers games more than the Cardinals games. I'm hopeful that between the national broadcasts and the Fox Sports Midwest stuff that I will be able to see more games this year than ever, but I sure would love it if I could see every game. MLB really needs to fix their stupid blackouts.

7. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    I hear ya, spiffy. I have nothing against the Rangers and the Astros, but I'm sick of watching their games instead of the Redbirds! :)

Fox MW is nice, though, and it's almost all in HD.

8. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    They were on Sports Pack last year for me on FSN-Kansas City (672).

9. oscar madison

oscar madison Legend

Aug 14, 2007
    When I go to directv.com/rsn it lists this for my zip, 46804:
    Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 665) - HD Available
    # Chicago Bulls (HD Available)
    # Cubs (HD Available)
    # White Sox (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 671) - HD Available
    # Indiana Pacers (HD Available)
    # St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

However, last year I also received FSN Indiana(with Reds announcers), which had many Reds games on and I didn't subscribe to the sports pack. How come this is not listed on the website?

10. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Hmm. I seemed to recall they were blacked out for me, but perhaps not. Will see this year, as I will not renew MLBEI.

11. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    They were definitely on for me last year. I only have Sports Pack...no MLB EI.