A new type of computer memory uses carbon, rather than silicon

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by firephoto, May 10, 2003.

1. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    If this really works it will mean some incredible speeds for computers. 200 gig solid state drive anyone?

http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1763552

2. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Same old song... just a drop of water in and endless sea...

We've been hearing this something like forever now. I'll wait till they actually do it before I get my hopes up.

Might happen about the same time as they build a space elevator with fullerene fibers.

3. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    While they claim 20x faster than current, they are about 8x faster than the fastest out now. It will not take long for silicon to catch up. It would be great if they can get it to work since being non volatile they could eventually replace flash memories.

4. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Just as they can get silicon to become faster, couldnt they make carbon faster just as well?

5. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    True they could probably increase carbon too. My point was that it is only 8x faster than current silicon. If you went into the unannounced laboratories where they are building the next generation of silicon, how close are they already to the carbon speed? Being able to make a prototype is a long ways from building the factory. They really need to be closer to 32x faster than the top end of the current to be equal in speed by the time they build a factory.

6. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    If it is even 3 or 4 times faster then that would be very competitive, even if its twice as fast, but they have to be fast enough to stay ahead of the competition once its released.

Those that have been working on the carbon memory probably have not worked on making it faster but rather on the development.