1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A referral mess from Sam's Club

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bigwad, Nov 11, 2010.

1. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I referred a friend to D*. He was at Sam's Club and they had a deal going my friend decided to take. I had told him he needed to use the referral number to get the referral credits. But, the guy at Sam's told him all he needed to do to get the referral was "call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask for corporate". Give them the account number and all would be good! WRONG!!!

Needless to say, you cannot get to corporate thru that number. They can't even forward you to someone who can.

After about 30 minutes on the phone trying to correct this, The CR basically said she could give me credits to account for my part, but my friend would have to call and try to get his end taken care of. My friend should not have to jump thru hoops to get what he should have gotten automatically.

I ended up sending an email to Ellen Filipiak explaining the situation and that they had a representative at Sam's Club giving out false info. I got a call from her office yesterday afternoon and the situation was resolved. The rep at Sam's Club is also going to be investigated.

I think the Sam's Club rep said whatever he needed to say to get the sale! It's a shame we have to go to such measures to get what is promised. I'm thankful D* came thru and did the right thing. They should not have a third party rep for them telling people just anything to get them to sign up.

Thanks D*, for getting this right!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Lesson learned. Skip third party deals and go directly to the source. DirecTV always gives new customers bonuses for signing on. If your friend is getting a HD install with either Choice Ultimate or Premier make sure they install a 5 LNB on the dish or he'll be missing 17 Sonic Tap channels that he should be getting.

3. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I've discussed everything with him he should get. I tried to tell him to go thru D*, but I guess the salesman at Sam's put up a pretty good sales pitch.

And this isn't the first time I've had trouble with a referral. Gotta keep a close eye on the account!

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    The reason to go through third parties like Sams Club, Costco or AAA is to get the additional discounts they offer. For example, in addition to the standard DIRECTV promo, Sams club members get up to $120 more in discounts:

5. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes, but if you get a "mucky muck" third party agent like the OP described it's a different ball game.

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    True, but it depends on how much its worth to you to talk to that "mucky muck". I used AAA and you were talking to the DIRECTV csr's for that promo. Back when I did it, It saved me $240 ($10 for 24 Mo's) + a second HD DVR for $99.

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's a luck of the draw. A knowledgeable third party agent can get you the kind of deal you described. On the other hand some of these agents would have difficulty describing to you what they had for lunch!

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you didnt go through the refer a friend number, you don't get the credit, end of story. No matter what some schmuck at Sams tells you....it's amazing the amount of time and effort people burn to try to save a few bucks, then if something doesnt go right, usually through their own fault, they try to deflect and blame another party....

9. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. It's my fault, or my friend's fault, for listening to and believing the salesman from Sam's Club? Someone not familiar with D* would not know the guy was lying to them. Obviously you're much smarter than us average jerks! I'm sure you've never called D* for anything, and pay the full subscription price, etc. Give me a break!

10. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    It's my fault, or my friend's fault, for listening to and believing the salesman from Sam's Club?

At this point, I don't think it really matters who's fault it was. The important thing is that DirecTV came through and everybody got what they wanted.

11. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I would argue that someone not familiar with D* would not even know about the referral bonus so why would they even inquire about it?

On the other hand, if you are aware of the referral bonus, either from a friend with an existing D* account that will be your referral or the numerous television adds that are run, then you should also be aware of the proper steps in receiving the said discount.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That may be true, but if I refer a friend and give them the phone number and they are not familiar with DirecTV or the commercial, who's to say that they wouldn't find the DirecTV rep at Sam's Club to be reliable?

- Merg

13. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    At least you got the credit DirecTv gave me the shaft Im still waiting its about 8 months

14. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I went through AAA number and also received the "refer a friend" discount, back when it was $50 each. So I know it was possible to get it w/o calling the referral number.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That was also before DirecTV required you to call a specific number to get the discount (or at least before they enforced that rule).

- Merg