1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"A serious error has occurred with your hard disk"

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Amon37, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon37

Amon37 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    Came home and the 622 said "A serious error has occurred with your hard disk call DISH" or something to that effect.

I can't access the DVR, I can't FF/RW or pause tried a hard reset and got the same error.

I already have another 622 on the way but any other suggestions?

2. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    Have you unplugged it? Is it clicking?

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    That usually means that the hard drive is dead. The good news is that it'll still show live TV while you wait for a replacement.

A trick that used to work maybe once every four HD failures is to lift the receiver about 0.75-inch off a hard surface then let it drop. If the HD is stuck, occasionally that'll jar it loose long enough to salvage your data. And if it doesn't work, the HD was dead anyway. :)

4. Amon37

Amon37 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    lmao :lol:

5. Wildman63

Wildman63 Mentor

Dec 23, 2006

My first VIP622 died of the same ailment at the age of four months. Dish replaced it.

6. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    About 6 months back a lot of users were getting this message, though it turned out to be false. Try a power cord reset. If the box does not come back alive and seem find I would expect that this message is real.

7. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It will NOT show live TV while the Disk is dead. In fact it not likely to even operate.

Droping the receiver to make the disk work. ROTFL. A good thing most head crashes are a thing of the past, but no reason to abuse the hard drive on purpose.

8. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    I don't know about the drives in the 622 but in the past there were IBM drives that were known to have sticking problems. They were specific 2.5 gig SCSI drives normally used in a RAID-5 array. And ROTFL if you want, but I have had to whack my share of them to get them started. They were hot swap drives so you could pull them out of the machine, give them a whack and put them back in without having to drop the entire computer on the floor. Naturally you did that after they were no longer spinning. You don't ever want to whack one that is moving since the heads may not be retracted. Any way, it is a known solution to get stuck drives started again and like Michael said if they are really dead you are not going to hurt them. However, I would not be likely to want to drop the whole 622 from a great height.

9. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Thanks for sticking up for me, Chuck. I share your emphasis that we're talking about a very short drop - less than an inch. And I'm sorry I didn't mention what you did - make sure the drive isn't moving before you do this.

And since I'm here, I'll restate that this is a very temporary solution, designed to give you enough time to extract (most of) the drive's contents. Or to let your kid see his Spongebob recording one more day while you wait for the UPS truck to deliver the replacement.

10. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    I'll back you up too Michael. While I've never had to do this with a DVR, a couple years ago I had an IBM Deskstar that was prone to sticking. You'd hear a clicking noise when trying to boot. By giving the PC case a good smack next to the hard drive I could usually get it engaged again and it would continue on. I actually got another year or so out of the drive this way before it finally died.

11. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I agree. Whenever I have had a HDD start clicking and get ready for failure, usually a god whack would get you booted up and enough time to back your files up.

12. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    OTOH it is going back for warranty, I have seen hard drives report a S.M.A.R.T. Error for Over G force impact.

13. Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    My 942 still worked fine when it's hard drive died, just lost all DVR features.
    Not sure why they would not include this ability in the 622.
    Oh well, in the name of progress.

14. logicalnoise

logicalnoise Cool Member

Mar 23, 2007
    wouldn't have a point for this but if you have a HD that died something that usually works(if it's a read head problem) is throwing the drive in a feezer bag and leaving it in the freezer for about 20 min to an hour. Beileve it or not it can bring back an HD long enough to get backed up or even sometimes fix the HDs completly.

15. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It shouldn't.

First of course you need to load the software off the hard drive to get running. I don't see how, it failed you can got to an operating state.

Second it was my understanding that these systems do not have a data path from the satellite receiver to the mpeg decoders. Instead they are suppose to write to the disk and then read it back. Perhaps they have a backup path to support disk failures, but it was never mentioned.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Both 942 and 622 [962] doesn't use a disk as a place for system.
    No, decoding going as pass-through to AV outputs and then same time to a disk.

17. Amon37

Amon37 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    I tried a power cord reset first because I know from reading the forum that is the first troubleshooting step. :D I then tried the drop method and that didn't work either. :cool:

18. Amon37

Amon37 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    It does show live TV, it's just none of DVR function buttons work.

19. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    One afternoon we came home and had had a power failure that really messed with the 622.

It had that message on the screen.

I rebooted the system three times.

It finally reformatted the drive and hasn't missed a lick since.

20. grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    Sounds like great recovery is built in. :)
    It also seems that the Linux port to the 622 is held in FLASH. That is good too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.