A Tip to keep your receiver running

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FlBillsfan, Apr 15, 2009.

1. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    In SWFla we are subjected to NUMEROUS thunderstorms. I VERY RARELY lose signal, however the electricity goes out quite often during these storms, usually only for a couple of minutes. I don't have to tell you how long it takes to reaquire sat. signal when power is lost. I saw a battery backup surge protector for sale at staples a couple weeks ago & bought it for that reason. It was put to the test yesterday. We had a storm that lasted hours & lost electricity 7 or 8 times. I have two HR20-700 DVR's plugged in to the battery backup & both kept running. It will be nice to not miss anymore recordings or plays when watching a game.

2. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    I got over a dozen UPS's around the house, all DVR's, computers, even the multiswitch has its own, also got the propane wall heater blower on a big APC SU2200 110 pounds beast.

Live in a very rural area, and have a couple of short dropouts a month, but hey it is a co-op and the rates are cheap:D

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'm the exception to the "rule" . . . my power is incredibly stable and I have good house wiring. I've had DVRs in the house for 7-1/2 years and the only one to ever fail was an original DirecTivo, a Phillips DSR6000. Hard drive failed about a month out of the 90 days warranty. I replaced it with a bigger drive and put it back into service for the next 6 years or so. My original HR20-700 is 2-1/2 years old this month and works great, as do my other R/HR2x boxes and an R15 I've had for about two years now. Never had a computer fail due to power issues either.

Your mileage obviously may vary. :)

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I get lot of brief power drops during winter storms, ups makes things a little more bearable during them :)

5. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    200$ APC1500 saved my 4k worth of equipment at least once here.. Had lines come down on the street, fried stuff all over the neighborhood (including a few things in my house) but my TV was on the whole time :)

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    had my own generator drop load when wire vibrated loose causing issue, ups really helped there :)

7. knoxbh

knoxbh Legend

May 1, 2002
    After having 3 hurricanes come thru Winter Haven, Fl during a 2 month period, had a whole house gas (500 gallon tank) generator installed the next year and at the most have a 35 second delay (before generator kicks in) in service. If we never have another hurricane, we feel it was worth the money.

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    A UPS switches in a few milliseconds...I'd add that to your generator, especially since generator power can be a bit "dirty" at times. Here in rural Iowa, we have at least a couple interruptions a week (winkies), and several 30 min or more per summer (bad thunderstorms). A UPS is an absolute requirement in this area for any piece of equipment one actually cares about.:)