1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A tragic end to a lifetime's experience

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Oct 16, 2008.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I was shopping the aisles at the supermarket today when I hit the cookie section. As I checked the shelves for my favorite - Mother's Cookies oatmeal raisin - I spied a disconcerting sign. "Close Out Sale."

"What the...?", I said under my breath. And there was a note explaining that Mother's Cookies had filed for bankruptcy and closed it's doors. I knew, of course, that the 92-year-old Oakland California institution had closed its Bay Area manufacturing plant two years ago. But the cookies kept coming.

So I bought all 10 packages of oatmeal raisin and had a group memorial discussion with all the folks at the checkout stand. It's tough getting old and seeing all your old friends die.

A Google News search came up with many articles including some with reference to the current owners of the combined Archway & Mother's Cookie Co. being in the equity and housing business and it all fell in. The cookie company supposedly had $50 million in assets and $500 million in debt, which seems to me like somebody had their hand in the cookie jar, alright.

But the best articles for me were My Childhood is Bankrupt: RIP Mother's Circus Animal Cookies and You know it's bad: Mother's animal cookies shuts its oven doors both of which had this image
    [​IMG]

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    :crying_sa

This has to be one of the saddest stories I have ever read. Both Archway and Mothers have always had a place in our pantry. My kids constantly remind mom and dad not to forget a bag of circus animal crackers when packing their lunch.

Without Mother's cookies, what are we going to do this holiday season? I can not think of a party that did not feature a bowl of their 'Frosted Holiday Cookies'.

3. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    That is sad. Except, I'm not that old. also, cookies don't factor much in my life anymore, just lost 15 pounds in the last 2 months.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I wasn't familiar with the Mother's brand, but Archway always had a significant presence in upstate NY, where I used to live, and a lesser one here in North Carolina. Always sad to see an iconic product disappear from the marketplace.

5. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    No more PInk & White Circus Animals? Oh no! Those have been our favorites since I was a kid!

:crying:

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Went to the store today and lo and behold, a Mother's Cookies display! And indeed they are back! I'm a happy camper!:D

[​IMG]

7. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    these will be missed
    [​IMG]

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    They are back in the store. I just bought some today.

Apparently according to this story "Kellogg's has acquired the trademarks and recipes of Mother's Cookies." Unbeknownst to me, the same site subsequently reported this May 1:
    !pride:jump3::joy:

Yeah, I know it's a little thing, but....

9. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    :ramblinon - I'm on a diet!

10. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    This is great news!!! I will be going out to buy a bag of Circus Animals in celebration!! :D

11. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I suspect it's a government bail out. ;)

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    China is behind the takeover.

Watch the ingredients panel for lead and melamine fillers, and for
    Circus Animals to include Pandas and Mongolian tigers.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I think Hydrox cookies were discontinued a few years ago. FYI, Hydrox was the original, Oreo the imitation.

Can you still buy rolls of chocolate-only NECCO wafers?