A war within the CIA?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by firephoto, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Well I was surprised for a few seconds that there's no mention of the 2 resignations from top CIA officials here but then again the majority here might still be figuring it out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A51301-2004Nov15.html
    I take this as being a public display of disagreeing with the direction the CIA is going or an outright refusal to go along with what is happening. It seems really odd since these seem to be the guys that are at the top of the "dark areas" for intelligence.

So since this is Bush central for opinions, is this good or bad for him?

2. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    These two had only held these positions and were part of the CIA of the future. This is a huge loss. These men were not part of the "old guard" or part of the problem. Just a few months ago they were the hope of the future. As the article states, they are very highly regarded in the clandestine world.

What I understand is that Goss brought some of his favorite aids with him from congress and put them in charge. They have not only "shaken things up" but have been very abrasive in doing so. Kappes and Sulick should have been treated with respect and it should have been a priority to have kept them in their positions. I don't care if its good or bad for Bush, he's not going to get elected again anyway, it is bad for the country.

3. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Having worked in a gubbamint agency myself, I can tell you this is a typical battle between the technocrats (those professionals who know the working end of the business) and the bureaucrats (those who are chosen for paper-pushing skills and political loyalties).

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    In this case particularly, there are way more people who know how to push paper than know the working end of this business. The wrong people won.

5. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    But I always though that was the problem of big federal government. The bureaucrats always win that battle.

6. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    Correct!

7. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    There is a difference between technocrats, bureaucrats, and political hacks. It sounds like Goss brought in hacks to do a hatchet job. Hacks are political lackies and are typically neither technocrats nor bureaucrats. They follow orders with blind disregard for future consequences. They can, and often do, a lot of damage.

8. RichW

Mar 29, 2002
    Somewhat true. Many career (non-political) bureaucrats are really "technocrats" in my deinition. They know their jobs well and can do them with little supervision. The upper level "political appointees" are what I call bureaucrats, in that they care more about style over substance. I was one of those appointees in the Bush 41 administration, but developed a great respect for the career civil service types. But my bosses were mopre concerned with things like making sure the civil service "technos" didn't read the newspaper at their desks... and didn't blow the whistle on some of the gubbamint shenanigans at higher levels.

9. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    It seems that Goss, as was feared by Democrats, is taking a non-partisan agency and turning it partisan. He has so demoralized the agency with his political hacks, experienced long-time employees are leaving in droves. They're being replaced with ideological flunkies, making the CIA just another tool in the right-wing propaganda machine.

10. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    It's a vast right wing conspiracy I tell you!

11. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Well ya know since Bush Sr. still stays in touch with the CIA it's hard not to think something fishy is going on.

12. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    I dunno.. Isn't this the CIA that bungled so badly to let 9/11 happen and then again with pre war intelligence?
    It might actually be good that they're cleaning house out there.

13. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    That's the public image of what happened in simple terms. I tend to believe that the CIA, or persons within it, were just used as pawns to get what some wanted and now these changes are seen as something that is needed even though nothing is really changing for the good except perhaps public image.

14. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004

Are there black helicopters hovering over your house?

15. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Actually yes they are at times. Last I heard I think we were over the $10,000,000 mark in pot growing busts around here this year.

Any more brilliant responses to things that are probably more true than you're willing to admit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.