1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A year after switching to cable...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by obrienaj, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    It is a few weeks away from the 1 year anniversary of my switch to Time Warner cable , after years of be a loyal everything package Dish customer. I still have some Dish services, slowly detoxing myself...I am down to the familiy package now .

So, how was my switch to Cable? For the familiy it has been much better, by far a much easier process for multiple room viewing. For channel choice and sports programming it has been far better. I have had useful regional channels added like NBC Weather Plus, New York 1 news channel, NY Legislature Channel. I have more baseball from the stations in my DMA than I ever imagined with Dish (I get Mets, Yankees , many Indians games via Channel 12 Erie, PA). I got nobe of these with Dish ! I get several useful Candian channels. In general it has been much easier, no fighting with Dish about their incorrect description of blackout rules. Also faster channel surfing ability than Dish.

The things cable can't match (at least my provider)....

The picture quality (non-HD) is not as good as Dish. If I was rating Dish picture quality on a 1-10 scale, I would give it an 8. I would give TW cable a 7 on the digital channels and a 5 on the non-digital channels.

The DVR from TW cable is just plain terrible compared with the one in my 510

Outages. My DSL Internet connection hardly ever went out. My TW cable Internet service has weekly outages. My TV service also has occasional outages . more than Dish.

My year-long reduced price deal with TW ends soon. It would be fun if Dish offered me a sweet deal to lure me back...but the familiy would go nuts.

2. Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell Godfather

Apr 4, 2005
    If sports are important to you, take a look at DTV. They carry more sports than Dish. I don't know what percentage of TV watchers are sports fans, but DTV hung their programming on them. Personally, I may watch two college football games a year, and think watching baseball is about as exciting as watching grass grow.

I have never understood why Dish doesn't carry Canadian TV. The cable companies in town carry Canadian TV.

3. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    I'd be willing to bet that subtracting Cable Internet and adding DSL would actually save you money (although there are clearly variations for different regions).

My SBC (now AT&T) DSL has been far more reliable than any other Internet service I have had over the past 20 years.

In fact it is much more reliable than my power! I put my 2wire modem/router/gateway by itself on a small 300va UPS (battery backup) which will run it for about 6 hours without power. When we have power outages (on average about one 2-3 hour outage per year, and several 30 minute ones), I can surf the Internet, or even watch some web-based news channel streams on my laptop during the power outage.

4. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    Other than Sunday ticket and Setanta, what makes DTV have that much more?

5. Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell Godfather

Apr 4, 2005
    If you are a baseball fan, YES makes a big difference.

6. fsquid

fsquid Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    Aren't the games blacked out anyways unless I live in that area?

7. Larry Caldwell

Larry Caldwell Godfather

Apr 4, 2005
    You're asking me? I subscribe to Dish Network, which doesn't carry YES, and if they did carry it, I wouldn't watch it.

However, I think the blackouts work the other way. If you DO live in the area, it's blacked out, because they want you to go to the stadium and buy a ticket. If you are out of the immediate area, you get to watch on TV.

I don't live in anyone's franchise area, so I have never seen a sports event blacked out. My irritation goes the other way, when they pre-empt perfectly good programming to show some garbage sporting event like the World Series.

8. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    I would assume so.....In Indianapolis, I only get a couple of locals RSN's and other versions have all the games blacked out.

You would get whatever other programming YES has, but I would be 99.99% sure that if you don't live in the NY/NJ area that you won't get to see the actual games.

9. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    No games on YES outside Yankee territory unless you sub to the MLB EI package. Its the same as every other team/RSN outside of your local market. If you DO live within the territory then you just watch the game on Channel 622 (YES SD Channel OR Channel 96 I believe which is the HD channel assignment for YES) instead of watching it on the EI channel. Now where it gets really interesting is ESPN games when the Yankees are on ESPN those games are blacked out within the Yankee territory and you must stick to YES.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Did you try calling TW about your outages? You shouldn’t be experiencing outages that much. In the 2 years I’ve had them for Road Runner, I had 2 outages, one due to a bad modem, on due to the cable be squished by my house. In the 7 months I’ve had them for cable TV, one widespread franchise wide outage due to system maintenance early in the summer. It was at 1 in the morning, so I was probably the only one who was affected :)

Really? The Dish 508 was the worst DVR I’ve ever owned. The Sci Atl DVRs have name based recoding. Sure it doesn’t have a pretty interface, but it has never missed a recording for me. Last week it was put to the test, everything was perfect. I love my 8300HD, once I get everything squared away with my home entertainment stuff, I’m getting an extra hard drive for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.