ABC audio during ND game and Nascar race

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MX727, Sep 13, 2009.

1. MX727

MX727 Legend

Jun 8, 2007
    Did anyone else notice that on the UM/ND game today (9/12) and during the Nascar race, the ABC audio has the background very high and the announcers are barely audible? During the Nascar race, this was horrible. I'm trying to figure out if it's the local station (Memphis WPTY, National or D.) Other channels are fine, so I don't believe it's my set.

2. SWORDFISH

SWORDFISH Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Other than having to listen to Matt Millen during the ND game (did he really compare Tate Forcier to Joe Montana ?) the audio was just fine (WLS-TV Chicago).

However, the volume of the commercials during the game nearly knocked me off the couch.

Can't help with the NASCAR broadcast, didn't watch it.

SF

3. cohbraz

cohbraz Legend

Nov 18, 2006
    Were you using your TV speakers or a surround system? If you were using the TV, what brand is it?

4. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    That issue drives me nuts too, but, Saturday OTA from the ABC affiliate in Fort Wayne Indiana there was nothing even remotely like that going on.

5. Kadex

Kadex Mentor

Mar 13, 2007
    In my area I am lucky to get two different ABC's. I started watching the game on channel 13 but the screen kept going black and no audio for up to 30 seconds. I turned to channel 41 and all was well. I'd have to say it's a station problem.

6. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I heard it on both the local (KTUL-8 HD, Tulsa) and Hot Pass broadcasts of the race. I was watching the race on a Sanyo 19" SDTV with the pseudo-surround sound enabled. I turned it off and things got a bit better. It sounded like they had the front and rear channels reversed.

7. dshank522

dshank522 Cool Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mo.
    I watched the last quarter of the game and the race....audio was fine for me.

8. cohbraz

cohbraz Legend

Nov 18, 2006
    That's what I was thinking. Many of the newer TVs have an audio feature that simulates surround sound. Different brands call them different things. One of the drawbacks to this audio processing is that it takes background noise and brings it to the forefront, thus making the central audio track tough to hear, or not quite as loud and the newly enhanced background noise. I know that Samsung and I think Toshiba call this TruSurround. I recommend it be turned off for most sproting events if you want to easily hear the announcers.

9. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    That may be true, but I had no problem with the audio on the Fox broadcasts, teh TNT broadcasts or the ESPN broadcasts-just the ABC one! As I'm sure it's the same crew that did the ESPN races, I wonder what the difference might be?

10. cohbraz

cohbraz Legend

Nov 18, 2006
    Those circuits do not treat all audio the same. It depends on the separation in the left and right audio tracks, combined with the audio track that is equal from the left and right track. If a station or program tries to enhance the audio slightly by giving it a wider field of sound (spacialize?) that can make the audio circuit in your TV really bring out the background noise.

11. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I also had the same issue with the race this week and I use a Denon 1909 Surround receiver. This is WTVD ABC 11 in Durham, NC. It is actually a common problem with them. I also had the surround pulled hard to the left which is also common. Other channels work just fine. I wonder if there is somethign to do with ABCs signal that is not translated correctly at certain affiliates with certain equipment.

It was very irritating and I solved it by just runing the audio from the football games most of the night and just watchign the race on a secondary TV.

12. MX727

MX727 Legend

Jun 8, 2007
    It's a Samsung, using the TV speakers. I tried it with both their pseudo surround on and off. Didn't seem to make a difference. Also noticed that some commercials had no voice at all. The music played, but voices.