1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC cancels a bunch, picks up a bunch

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, May 13, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    ABC cancellations: "V," "Brothers & Sisters," "Mr. Sunshine," 'Better with You," "Off The Map," "No Ordinary Family," and "Detroit 1-8-7."

ABC new shows: Dramas "Charlie's Angels," "Good Christian Belles," "Pan Am," "Revenge," The River," "Scandal" and "Once Upon a Time:" Comedies "Last Man Standing," "Work It," "Suburgatory," "Man Up" and "Apartment 23."

2. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    V is the only one I watched. I didn't expect it to return given it's ratings.

Do we really need a remake of Charlie's Angels?

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    A shame about "Better With You," it was getting.... better.

4. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    They did renew Body of Proof which has been growing on me.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Liked these two No Ordinary Family and Detroit 1-8-7.

Ain't V need its end anyway?

6. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Charlie's Angels again?

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    oh man, V was great and Mr. Sunshine was awesome! I'll miss No Ordinary Family too.

8. revm1m

revm1m AllStar

Jul 2, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I loved Better with you,

9. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I don't see Body of Proof on the list but I think it was picked up for next year.

10. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Better with you was underated. ABC made a mistake with this one. Love the show.

Charlie's Angels? Really?

I wonder what idiot is running these networks....

11. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    "Better With You" was a great sitcom, sad to see that one not make the cut. :(

The opening was the best, showing how the three couples handled the same situation.

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    V is a another victim of the "let's have a 8 week break in the middle of the season"

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    If I read the OP properly, that is a list of cancelled shows and new shows. It didn't list the current shows that were renewed.

I also like Body Of Proof as it is very similar to Crossing Jordan.

14. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Although I shudder at the thought of hearing "Good morning angels" coming through a speakerphone, I can see, with VERY careful crafting, and a tongue planted firmly in cheek, that this could be a fun spin-off of the original. The only problem would be that they could probably only come up with a half-season of material that would hold anyone's attention.....kind of like the original :)

15. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Legend

Nov 30, 2007
    I agree. I liked it, and it got better over the season, but I also think there was a huge "quality-control" issue. To me, Elizabeth Mitchell is a great actress (based on her appearances on Lost), but on V she was wooden and stilted, with very little life in her performances. I can only think that's because of writing and direction. Several other actors/characters suffered these same flaws. Honestly, the only character who seemed to have "life" was Anna, who was supposed to be the least emotional of all.

I know the producers/writers were starting to evolve new story lines to fix this, and perhaps the "season-ending" twists with Lisa and Kyle would have sparked new life into the series, but now we'll never know.

16. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Maybe if they're all transvestites. But it looks like they're going with three standard anorexics broads

It will be cancel before Christmas

Attached Files:

17. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I remember 39 show seasons. Then it was 26, Then it got down to 13. Now it seems to be a little as 6 between schedule recordings. With shows getting killed off in record time.

18. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Legend

Nov 30, 2007
    Many series in Great Britain have as few as 12, 8 or 6 episodes a year. This permits the actors to explore other projects and the writers to work on and deliver quality material, and has also let commitment-shy networks "gamble" on paying for a new show, as all parties, including the viewers, know it will be a short run and that the writing will wrap up storylines by the end of the season.

There's been talk about US networks following suit, but I haven't really seen it. The closest would seem to be USA and SyFy, which each have series that run in two halves.

I could get behind this on a larger scale if it meant more original programming and guaranteed uninterrupted/weekly new shows, but the networks are stuck in an in a decades-old programming mentality so I don't think we'll see it soon.

19. thxultra

thxultra Godfather

Feb 1, 2005
    I will miss V, it was all I really watched on ABC... Too many long breaks killed this show.

20. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I will miss V and No Ordinary Family but not as much as Human Target and SGU. These networks are pissing me off. Hope Autumn Reeser gets a new show :p