1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC Filmed HD Prime Time Frame Rate Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jholcomb, Nov 20, 2008.

1. jholcomb

jholcomb Mentor

Aug 25, 2007
    Has anyone noticed that FILMED programs on ABC HD in primetime seem to have a choppiness or frame rate problem? I first noticed it on "Life On Mars" and thought it was a production effect, but I notice it on other FILMED series as well. Live shows do not seem to have the same problem.

I'm watching ABC on Channel 25, Evansville, IN. I've emailed their tech department but not heard back yet.

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I just finished watching "Life on Mars" from the 20th. No choppiness was visible. I read your post before I watched it so I was looking for any issues, but picture was stable with no apparent problems. My signal comes from CH 2 WSB-Atlanta.

3. jediphish

jediphish Godfather

Dec 3, 2005
    I have seen this before. I believe it would fall under the category "judder." Considering ABC transmits in 720p at 60 FRAMES per second and many shows that are broadcast on ABC are likely filmed at cinema rates of 24 frames per second, the 3-2 conversion to get 24 frames to fit into the 60fps transmission rate may be the culprit. Not sure why this doesn't happen with FOX given its also 720p.

4. w3syt

w3syt Legend

Feb 17, 2006
    Since our local ABC WTAE-4 went HD in the studio, they have been outputting ABC in 1080i according to my Directv gear.

5. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    What type of TV do you have? Do you have "cinemotion" turned on?

6. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I had the same problem with a recorded "Stargate Atlantis". The sound was not effected. I should have reported it but just deleted it (my bad). I think this recording was done just before the last CE. Have not seen the problem on other recordings yet, but still have some that I have not watched. Have not seen this problem on any live broadcast.

7. CKNAV

CKNAV Godfather

Dec 26, 2005

It is not judder. The problem is D* encoders. This problem appears on different stations on different markets thru D*. It appears on 1080i channels too. D* is working to fix this with the manufacturer.

8. jholcomb

jholcomb Mentor

Aug 25, 2007
    I know I've seen postings on other boards about ABC shows doing the same thing in other markets. Annoying to be paying for something that looks like a modern version of a silent film!

9. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    It's not on D* end as I get ABC via OTA and have seen this issue on Life On Mars and Brothers & Sisters. I have my HR21 set up with Native on, so it's passing the 720p signal through to my 1080p TV via HDMI. I have not seen this problem with any other network, so I think it can definitely be blamed on ABC.

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Same here - I have noticed this on ABC and I verified it via OTA on the TV so it's not a D* issue.

11. retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    We had this problem in Chicago a couple of months ago. I believe the engineers at WLS-DT found that they had to turn OFF auto film detect on their encoder (or something like that). Since they did that it's been fine.