ABC news Now channel

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by angiecopus, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angiecopus

angiecopus Legend

May 18, 2004
    I see where ABC is doing a channel with coverage of the conventions and it will be on digital cable in a view states, one city in ohio is going to have it. I wonder if dish network has plans to carry it.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    The ABC affiliate in Washington DC is going to have it on their 7.2 digital subchannel. All of the ABC O&O channels are supposedly going to carry this. I know that the Cable networks here are also going to carry it.

3. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    I turned to KGO 7.2 in SF Bay Area, and sure enough, they were transmittng it this morning over the air.

4. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    HD, by any chance?

5. JBar1017

JBar1017 Cool Member

Jul 22, 2003
    This may sound like a dumb question, but my NY ABC will have ABC News Now channel as well on their subchannel. Is that available on Dish Network? If so, how what do I do to put it on the subchannel?

Thanks!
    JBar1017

6. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    No this is SD stuff.

7. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Well, if it's only ABC O&O, then it won't get a lot of viewers.

8. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    Its not that its only ABC O&O, its that ABC O&O will have it, and others are optional.

9. Ddavis

Ddavis AllStar

Jan 15, 2004
    But if it's OTA 8.2, then it's SD over an HD (Digital) sub-channel. Normal SD OTA tuners will not be able to get.

10. Joe Capitano

Joe Capitano AllStar

Aug 13, 2002
    According to abcnews.com, neither dish nor DirecTV will be offered the ABC NewsNow service. It will only be made available at this time to the network's digital affiliates (KOMO-TV/DT here, but they're not multicasting), and to those internet users who pony up accordingly.

As to those with Free-to-air MPEG setups, maybe they'll get lucky. That I can't confirm.

11. Cyclone

Jul 1, 2002
    Like I said, its SD.

12. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    DDavis,

You are confusing digital transmissions with High Definition. If something is digital, it is not necessarily Hi-Def. HD means 720p or 1080i. If it's 480i or 480p, it's standard def. And no, Standard Def doesn't automatically mean analog.

In fact, analog doesn't necessarily mean standard def either. There was analog hi-def in Japan for many years.

13. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    I think what DDavis is trying to say is that a standard NTSC tuner will not be able to tune to this subchannel and he is correct. You need an ATSC tuner to receive it.

14. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    VOOM has full coverage all in HD on channel 999

15. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Why can't an SD digital tuner receive it if it is broadcast in SD? Does the use of that particualr subchannel preclude it? I am trying to learn a little.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Geronimo - you're confusing Digital SD with NTSC. As long as the OTA station is broadcasting the subchannel on their Digital TV (ATSC) channel, any decent ATSC tuner SHOULD be able to receive and process it. Now - it may only display a 540x480i (commonly called SD) display, but it IS digital. And they way the current FCC regs on the Digital (DTV) transition read - THIS is ALL that is required of the current analog broadcasters to be in compliance - HDTV is a NICE (but expensive) addition to this. I would envision many of the smaller stations struggle to get to this, and stop. They may very well broadcast their primary affliiliation on 1 subchannel, and a secondary one on another subchannel, and maybe repeat this a couple times.

17. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    E* has the convention coverage on PPV-HD. But I don't think that is exactly what we had in mind. :)

Jason

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I was asking a question about a claim made in posts 9 and 13. I was not confusing anything. I readily admit that I do not know enough about it to be confused. So I will ask again why cant a digital tuner receive this broadcast? Is it because of the subchannel number? That is what those posts seem to say but I could be very wrong.

19. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Geronimo,

There's no reason a digital tuner would not be able to tune this in. Only an analog tuner would not be able to.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you read "Normal SD OTA tuners" as old NTSC tuners. :D
    ATSC Digital TV can be broadcast in HD or SD, and NewsNow is being broadcast on certain ATSC stations as an alternate feed to the main program.

It is odd that the networks didn't bother to carry the convention itself.

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.