About those Live + 7 day ratings - not good for broadcast nets

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 18, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As some may recall I used to do threads on "live+same day" ratings, but when the networks indicated that time frame wasn't going to be their focus for decision-making, I stopped. Historically, the age 18-49 ratings on average were significantly dropping overall every year for a decade if you ignore the NFL games. Streaming is becoming the delivery method of choice for the age 18-49 folks but we get no reliable data on streaming, so we really don't know what people under the age of 50 are watching. (Us old folks still watch TV, by the way.)

This week the Vulture website ran this The 2015–16 TV Season in One Really Depressing Chart stating "Overall, the so-called Big Four are collectively drawing about 7 percent fewer viewers for their first-run programming than they were a year ago at this time, continuing a pattern of substantial decline that’s been in place for several years now." They are referring to this age 18-49 ratings chart:

[​IMG]

This has not been reflected in the big media conglomerates advertising revenue which seems to be growing. As indicated in the chart, "The 100" on The CW broadcast network (which is not a member of The Big Four) which is not a surprise. As a scifi fantasy it is becoming more interesting over time IMHO. And even though its ratings increased, The CW for years has relied on streaming from its website because its target audience is age under-30.

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I love The 100. But I've had to stop letting go my daughter watch as it's gotten too graphic with both violence and sex.

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've never been totally happy with the Nielsen ratings. I have this gut feel that their samples are too small., and therefore not truly reflective of actual viewership. While I understand the trend, I feel that much of it ccan be attributed to popular shows on alternative networks (e.g. AMC, TNT, HBO etc.}

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I have the same doubts about the Niesen's. But with that said even though I'm not in the 18-49 crowd I am watching original programming on Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, and Feeln plus a lot of Brit/Aussie/NZ/Canadian programming on Acorn TV. When added to the shows we like on AMC, TNT, USA, Syfy, FX, plus PBS and even The CW, there just isn't nearly as much time for shows on the four primary broadcast networks.

Right now I'm chewing up an hour and a half a week watching episodes of the second season of "Happy Valley" and the first season of "Love" on Netflix, two hours a week watching episodes of the second seasons of "Bosch" and "Transparent" and the first season of "The New Yorker Presents" on Amazon Prime, an hour a week watching episodes of the first season of "11.22.63" on Hulu, and three and a half hours a week on "Janet King", "The Hanging Gale", and "Vera" on Acorn TV.

That chews up 8 hours of the 28 hours of TV we used to watch from our Dish box. The reduction has come mostly from broadcast network times. It's not that the internet streaming stuff is better than everything on the broadcast nets, it's just far better than some of the shows we used to accept and some they introduced this year that we might of accepted.