Absence + Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Alan Gordon, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Long story short. I've been "sick"... so sick it was hard to get out of bed. Last week was the first week I've had the energy to do pretty much anything other than sleep... but a MAJOR ISSUE came up at work and I spent pretty much all my time at work last week.

My apologies to DirecTV and the CE team for the bad timing on this unexpected brush with the "Hudson Virus" (my name for the bug I had). A million times, I intended on testing/posting my results, BUT I can't begin to explain how hard this virus affected me.

Last night, I got home from work early with enough time on my hands expected this week to really get into testing... when I was told that the H21 was not receiving anything. My HR23-700 and HR20-700 were both not receiving one as well.

It's not unusual for my SWM to "go out", so I resetted everything, only to still be without a signal. It was dark outside, so I decided to check my cables today. I checked them all, they seem fine. I left my SWM unplugged ALL night long. I reset everything AGAIN today. Nothing seems to work.

I think my SWM is gone. Opinions?

~Alan

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    One thing to look at are the SWM channels under the setup menu.
    When mine were all zeros, it turned out the dish had moved out of alignment. No signals in = zero being displayed under SWM "tps".
    If you're at least seeing the SWM screen, "something" must be working in the SWM.

3. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Very good thought... unfortunately, no SWM option comes up in the Signal Strength menu. Though since I've reset these units multiple times and it keeps trying to "Verify Configuration" to see if I have a SWM... it may not supposed to come up?

~Alan

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Have you tried a complete powerdown of everything, including the SWM/ Power Inserter (PI)...also....after you turn everything back on...peek in the PI for the SWM and make sure the green light is on....if not, perhaps the PI is bad, not the SWM.

In any case, sorry to hear about your illness, and hopefully a full reset brings things to life.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Try to get into the system info screen and see if there are any SWM data [firmware etc.], if not then "there is nobody home".
    If so then check the PI for voltage.

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    There's no option to get into the System Info screen... only "Signal Strength"... "Repeat Satellite Setup" and of course the Playlist.

The PI's green light is on...

~Alan

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It's been a while, but I think you can force it by pressing the info button.

The green light means it's getting power, but not that it's outputting the 21/28 volts.

You might try the DECA PI as it is used for the SWMLNB [but NOT the SWM8].

8. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I tried that... I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks for your help veryoldschool and hdtvfan0001, but I'm afraid part of my issues was my own stupidity.

Last night, before I left the SWM unplugged all night to see if that would fix it... I unplugged a cable inside and forgot to plug it back in today... so apparently leaving the SWM unplugged all night fixed it (that or messing with the cables this afternoon). Either way, I'm MRV'ing tonight!

Mods, you can lock the thread now... but please don't delete it as I'd like people to be able to read the RED paragraph in my first post. Thanks!

~Alan

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Regardless of the road traveled....glad both you and your SWM operations are doing well.