Abu Dhabi TV is reporting that Iraqi TV has been blown up.

Discussion in 'Archive' started by firephoto, Mar 25, 2003.

1. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Oh darn.

Just broke on CNN, they showed a big bomb blast in the distance and said it was Iraqi TV.

2. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I seen that on CNN Live myself this big explosion and was mentioning something about them going to bomb a tv station to take it out due to the coverage that was shown. I thought they were supposed to take out Aljazeera TV, or is this the same station?

3. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    And a camera is still rolling after the hit from that station too they report. They say that Iraqi tv comes on and off intermitently and is being sent through satellite but terrestrial signals to the city is not being sent now due to being hit.

4. Richssat

Richssat AllStar

Jul 2, 2002
    And from what I heard on CNN, Iraqis are forbidden by Saddam to have satellite dishes, so no tv for them.

One more reason behind the need to liberate Iraq. That way they can come on here and talk about satellite tv.

RR

5. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Now they say the signal is down.

6. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    They are forbidden but there are a lot that have "secret" rooms for watching the dish.
    The post here about the Iraqi weblogs has a link to someones blog and they have a dish for watching international stuff.

7. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    About friggin' time.

8. George_F

George_F Legend

Dec 25, 2002
    On www.drudgereport.com it says U.S. just took down Iraqi tv using an ebomb to magnetically scramble the signal.

9. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    They do seem to be saying that it was an e-bomb.
    Pentagon is saying that it and other satellite com buildings were hit with cuise missiles and aerial bombs.

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1199072

10. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Was the e-bomb an experimental exercise, and what better place to experiment with weapons than in a war. I'd be interested in the damage radius of such a device (or this device) as it took out the TV broadcasting power.

11. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    This page has some good info.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/hpm.htm

12. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I do hope you're being sarcastic!

Anyway, it was probably a good thing anyway, since what was being shown on TV was of no value anyway. I heard on CNN and my local FOX (WNYW Fox 5) that the terrestrial feed was knocked out, but the satellite feed is still operational. If anyone has a DVB/FTA receiver they can verify this, as Iraqi TV is available on Transponder 8 on Telstar 5, which is at 97WL.

13. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Aljazeera is an indepent network that is headquartered in Qatar. What was taken out was the Iraqi state-run network, which by most news organizations outside of Iraq consider to be nothing but propoganda spreading some pretty wild tales.

14. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    I was just checking out the web feed (www.dsltv.nl has a web feed) and it seems as though Iraq TV is gone for good.

15. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Shall we have a moment of silence?

:D :lol: :goodjob: :grin: :righton: :us: :flag: :up:

16. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Now on a more serious note.

Which foreign network in Baghdad will be the source of Iraqi broadcasts now??

17. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Alternate source of TV in Baghdad area would most likely be "BIGTIME-TV"
    A mobil unit witch utilizes a big yellow school bus.
    Anyone ever see the orginal "Max Headroom" pilot film?

18. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002
    If what I saw on Iraq TV was any indication, I think the people of Iraq could very well do without Iraq TV.

19. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Yes, if that was the TV station responsible for the Iraqi "press conference" yesterday, I am glad they put the poor thing out of its misery. That Iraqi VP, or whoever he was, was so boring that even the translators on CNN and Fox News had a hard time stayiing awake during the broadcast. That strike should be considered the first humanitarian aid to arrive in Baghdad.

20. raj2001

raj2001 Icon/Supporter

Nov 2, 2002