Access DTV without box, still available?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by saleen351, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1 of 49
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Need a tv for a guest room that doesn't get a lot of use. I remember a few years ago they had samsung tvs that allowed you to watch dtv without a box, is that still around? If so how does it work, I have the whole home dvr, not the genie though.

Thanks

2. Jan 2, 2014 #2 of 49
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Cost is still the same as a separate box.

They get ya either way, LOL!

:coffee

3. Jan 2, 2014 #3 of 49
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Perfect application for a mirror and an RF remote on an existing receiver of yours.

Sadly, DirecTV feels no compulsion to be even 1% as competitive as DISH on facilitating this . . .

:bang

4. Jan 2, 2014 #4 of 49
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually I don't agree I've never liked dishes sd output in second tv. Have they changed that yet? Or is the Joey system which is the same principal as a gene system their way of doin it now?

To the op you have to have a genie as well to make that happen.

Your best bet is to buy a owned box you can activate and deactivate whenever you have guests over to use it.

5. Jan 2, 2014 #5 of 49
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Guests in the guest room are lucky to have even SD TV. Any whining at my house would be futile.

:eek2:

6. Jan 2, 2014 #6 of 49
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would look for a reasonable cost owned receiver, making sure it was really owned with the access card department, even SD (though make sure it's one swm compatible which is D12) you can activate and deactivate at will.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

7. Jan 2, 2014 #7 of 49
    randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Our few guests have to put up with HD OTA. It's been 18 months since anybody stayed overnight and it was at least that long since the overnight guests before that so I'm not investing in another receiver or getting a mini just for that room. I guess if I knew we were going to have a long term guest who was going to spend a lot of time in the room I could temporarily move the crafts room/gym receiver. Right now I can't imagine anybody we know staying more than two or three days. Hopefully they've come to visit us not to lay in the guestroom watching TV. :grin:

2 people like this.
  8. Jan 2, 2014 #8 of 49
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    That's why we have Roku in our guests rooms.

And directv doesn't activate and deactivate owned receivers for less then a month at a time. Also, they can charge you an activation and deactivation fee, if they so choose.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Jan 2, 2014 #9 of 49
    saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I live in S Fla, my family lives in NJ, thus I get a bunch of vistors in the winter. If I can avoid having the box it allows me less wiring and not having to install a box shelf. My tvs are hung on the wall with the wires fished in the wall for a clean look.

Who makes these tvs? How much is it a month? I googled it without any success.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Samsung and Sony make RVU capable TVs. You'd need a Genie to serve it, and there'd be a $6.00 fee for an additional TV.

11. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks Laxguy, now I can buy a Vizio and just order a box since I don't want to spend money on upgrading to the genie.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Depending on your account and contract status, you might be able to get a genie for reduced cost, or free.

Sent from my Z10 using DBSTalk mobile app

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    If you can get an owned h25 they make a simple bracket that can be used to mount it behind your tv. I think that's a better solution myself.

Again you also have to upgrade to genie to be able to use RVU built into a samsung tv. Just something to remember. Granted if upgrade to a genie anyway if you could. ;)

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As cantankerous as some RVU TVs have proven to be, I'm not convinced they're all that suitable for guest room duty (in addition to being among the more expensive Smart TVs).

I think the jury is probably still deliberating whether or not Wi-fi is sufficient to drive an RVU TV. DIRECTV's own wireless solution uses WiFi frequencies but it is separate and apart from any conventional WiFi LAN.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This almost universally requires the RF remote kit, right?

For ease of use and avoiding clutter behind the TV, I'd go with an earlier H2x model that has built-in RF and an internal power supply. It is one thing when you can bury wall warts, power bricks and BBCs behind an AVR rack but quite something different when you're talking about a dresser or highboy.

I firmly believe that you shouldn't have to explain to someone how a TV system works. If they demand special treatment, feed 'em fish heads but basic TV should just work without having to fuss with selecting the appropriate function or input.

1 person likes this.
  16. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    An alternative to an extra box from DIRECTV or an RVU TV would be a wireless HD transmitter such as this product.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=my+wireless+tv&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=30168361427&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=622721587791847378&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3mb3mr7rv8_b

I've been using one for over 2 years to feed a TV in a room that is only very rarely used. If picture quality is any different than what I'd get with a DIRECTV box connected directly to the TV, I can't see it. Mine has has worked flawlessly over the time I've had it, and I've seen posts from a number of others on this board who have been using them and who recommend the product to others. At the remote TV you need to be watching the same programming that is being watched on the TV where the DIRECTV box is, but, in a rarely used location, that should not be an issue. You do have the upfront cost of buying the transmitter, but you aren't paying DIRECTV monthly for an extra box, and a side benefit is that they can also be used to transmit signals from a BluRay player or other HDMI input. Also note that, if you shop around the internet, they can be bought for well under MSRP.

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    An antenna isn't much of a kit really. An it's far smaller and easier to hide the h25 than any other older unit from dtv.

You'd know the sizing if you had experience with DIRECTV stuff.

Plus the h25 and c31/41 are are the only units that have a prefab built wall bracket for hanging. All others are meant for a shelf only.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    C41w went even further by incorporating keyholes for mounting, no need for mounting brackets

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My point is that it doesn't come with and I'm guessing that it doesn't include a provision for hanging the power brick.
    The H25 and Cx1 also require an SWiM system and I'm not sure that's the case here. The TS has substantially dismissed the possibility of adding a Genie so the Genie Mini would seem to be off the table.

I submit that having a conventional STB is useful in situations where the users may need reminding what is going on with their TV. It gives them something identifiable to focus on and ask questions about.

20. Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman Legend

Dec 13, 2012
    Excluding whether, or not, you have a Roku in a guest room this post is incorrect.