Acquiring sat signal a lot lately with 508?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by firephoto, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 9, 2004 #1 of 10
    firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Recently I'm getting this screen a lot lately. I checked the signals and re-peaked the dish but it seems to still persist. I did a power button reset (held it till both lights came on) but it doesn't seem to help. I don't notice this on the 301. Both hooked to a dish500 twin.

I'm getting it with 110, Spotbeam 6 right now a couple times a minute. :( Was happening on 119, tp18 earlier... Just did the signal check again and it kept bouncing from good signal, 124 on the spotbeam to good signal but wrong sat????

Just wondering if someone might be seeing the same thing lately or have an idea of what could be wrong.

2. Oct 9, 2004 #2 of 10
    navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    i have been seeing the same thing. i suspected the following 1. possible tree growth interference. 2. lnb going bad. it happens at various times of day and night.

3. Oct 9, 2004 #3 of 10
    elbyj

elbyj Godfather

Jan 9, 2003
    I recently addressed the same problem with the 110 last weekend. The answer I got from all the experts viewing this web site was the problem is attributed to "Solar Conjuntion". Believe it or not, that is what they are telling me. I haven't experienced the problem since Monday.

4. Oct 9, 2004 #4 of 10
    firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    ok so maybe it's a software issue? I don't think it was the solar problem since the sun was out of site. ;)

I pulled the plug and the card and let it sit a minute and that seemed to help somewhat but it still kept blanking out on me.

Could there be another sat at 110, and 119 I guess, that is interfering?

5. Oct 9, 2004 #5 of 10
    dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    Here's a suggestion, I just did a trouble call earlier today, and was getting the same thing, one check switch revealed 119 feed only, then I ran it once more, got 119/110/61.5 all, then when I changed channels, it would say aquiring sat signal. Went outside, to start checking angles and what not, unscrewed an F-Con off the DP21 that the RSP (regional service provider ) put in when they installed the second dish for the customer, and it was full of corrosion because of the way they mounted it. SO my suggestion is check your outside connections for corrosion.

If anyone is curious, this is how E* RSP of choice chose to install the DP21.

6. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm still having this issue on some channels and it's been every minute it seems like on 182-Discovery tonight. I checked the cables a while back and changed out the grounding block but nothing really helped and the signal shows good but I remember it saying wrong sat at times like it was locking onto another sat?

If Dish had a good deal for existing subs I'd get a couple of new dvrs.

7. dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer Legend

Sep 11, 2004
    This is to this post and an update on my last post in this thread. Since I last posted in regards to this issue, the receier (311) that was installed at the photos show below in that thread of mine, has since gone out. And as far as deals on dvr's, call them, their stuff is always changing, not my 522, but the 510 I got for free by agreeing to upgrade to the next pachage and keep it for at least 2 years. Take into cosideration though, when I did that, I only had the locals, and just had to agree to stay with AT60 for two years.

8. Chris Walker

Chris Walker Legend

May 19, 2004
    Yep, your tuner is failing. It will get worse and worse as time goes by. I had one of the first produced 508s and it started doing the same thing last year, bad tuner.

9. firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    Are there any specifics to what exactly happens to them, software, hardware, poor assembly, heat, etc?? Has anyone had any luck getting one replaced that was experiencing these problems? Since the 510 seems to be just a big brother to the 508 will it have the same problems? There's not much of a choice for existing subs in the dvr dept it seems.

Also it's not an everyday thing, for example last night their wasn't a glitch once for 6 hours on the local nbc channel with a couple of recored events. Sometimes on that same channel I get the "part of the recording is missing error" (which is annoying and dumb) quite a bit.

Since the 510 seems to be just a big brother to the 508 will it have the same problems?

10. MarkoC

MarkoC AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 5, 2004
    I recently had this problem with my 508 as well. I called Dish about it and they sent me another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.