1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activating a new HR24 in RV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by captgadget, Nov 16, 2011.

1. captgadget

captgadget AllStar

Sep 7, 2010
    If I install a portable dish for my motorhome, order a new HR24 will I have to have Directv tech activate that receiver?

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    If you order from a place like solidsignal.com or right from a DirecTV CSR then nope.

Kevin

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You'll just need to call DirecTV when you're ready to activate it.

4. Lije Baley

Lije Baley AllStar

Dec 7, 2003
    If you are not creating a separate RV account (to obtain East or West Coast network channels), you can consider removing a DVR (or two) from your house for use in the RV. It's cheaper than activation, and with separate sets of cables and connectoins in the house and RV, swapping a DVR between home and RV is a easy chore.

You'll lose your local channels when you travel outside your spot beam, of course.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It depends upon whether you have SWM/DECA in your house which could complicate things in your RV if it is not set up the same.

6. rayxxxle

rayxxxle Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Have never had a problem with this.
    I take one of my receivers, an hr, with me on a trip. I set up the dish to receive the signal, then contact DTV, and temporarly change my address from where I live to whever I am at the time. Normally in one or two places in Colorado. They then change the locals to the Denver locals and I am up and running. Then when you get home, change your service address back to your home address.
    If you don't care about locals, you don't have to contact DTV, just set up your dish and hook it to your receiver. You will still receive all non local channels.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    From what I have heard from in formed sources who have RVs and I am about to buy one, you can only do that a couple of times and then they make you set up an RV Account which I don't want to do.

It is good to know that you have not had any problem changing your Service Address but Directv does not recommend you doing it but that is exactly what I want to do so I can get locals.