1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activating Old Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by daviddsims, May 9, 2018.

1. May 9, 2018 #1 of 10
    daviddsims

daviddsims Mentor

Nov 3, 2004
    I had Directv service for many years before cancelling in 2016. After being gone for a little over a year I signed back up and received a HR54 and Genie Mini. I owned an old HR24 when I cancelled and I would like to add it back but they tell me that since I lost access card and it was on old account it cant be activated. Is this true?

2. May 9, 2018 #2 of 10
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Tell them to send you a new access card. It will cost $20 for the shipping and handling.

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Are you SURE it was owned, i.e. it was on your account specifically as an "owned" receiver, rather than when you canceled that Directv said they didn't want it back? Few Directv DVRs are actually owned, unless it was originally owned by an employee. If you don't know for sure it isn't owned, but it is you can activate it with a new access card.

If it isn't really owned, and you stopped and then re-started service it probably isn't the same account number so it cannot be activated on anyone's account and is only good for recycling.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    slice, all "smart talk about smart card" is just gimmicks from DTV when they're really could re-marry existing (current version) smart card to any STB ... we had seen that before on rare occasion
    IMO, they don't want to show any hint to actions what they don't want to release from own hands

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    He wants to know whether he will be able to activate it, not whether it is theoretically possible but something Directv won't do.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm talking about practical solution... if he would convince DTV do that. It's really possible. Just adding for his knowledge database.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DIRECTV is making the decision based on what slice contributed ... ownership of the receiver. The intricate technicalities of what can be done with a smart card are irrelevant.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sure, the Earth is flat ! :D :p

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it is truly an "owned" HR you will be able to activate it with a new access card. You should call D* and have them check the RID# or the serial#. If they tell you it is not actually owned (this has happened to me repeatedly) you will have to do some talking. I've made them change the status of my HRs, they might have to dig thru some files but if it's truly owned it will show up that way.

Rich

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    And if its not owned and they do reactivate it, you get a new 2 year commitment. System just does it. Even though you fulfilled the commitment the first time. I have seen that happen.