Activating Owned Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Dec 25, 2019.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I have an owned H24 receiver that I have in past years used as an guest room receiver when we have guests staying with us for a week or so. Before I was transitioned over to ATT it was no problem to get the receiver activated and then deactivated after a month or so. But others have posted that ATT is no longer activating owned receivers or the new system doesn't have the ability to distinguish between owned and leased equipment.

Has anyone had a recent experience attempting to activate a previously registered (by them) receiver that is owned by them?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    We will have such _recent_ experience posted, as soon you will do that ;)

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah (I'm sighing), I had to get a replacement last week and asked the CSR if ATT had come to their senses about this and got nowhere. The story I got months ago was their computer system could not handle "owned receivers". I was calling about HRs, not an H24. Never had them, don't know if they fall into the same category.

Rich

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Perhaps AT&T logic -- How can you own a leased receiver? is the reason there system is built the way it is?

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have no idea why they do what they do. Seems like they don't either. Just throw it on the wall, see what happens. Multiple CSRs have told me the same thing...their system has no way to deal with owned receivers. Must be some truth to that.

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  6. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    To be fair to the Death Star, it was Directv who came up with he leasing model. Why sell a receiver once, when you can sell it over and over and over and over, until the hard drive platters turn to dust.

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But commercial units are mostly all owned ones

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That is exactly why most of the HRs have video and audio problems. If they had the decency to put new HDDs in the refurbs this would not happen as much. How much could a new 500 GB drive cost them if they bought them in bulk? I know D* came up with the idea of leased receivers but why won't ATT allow the HRs we purchased ourselves to maintain the very proper "owned" status?

Rich

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Must be a different computer system for the commercial accounts.

Rich

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    For commercial public viewing accounts like bars/restaurants, ALL receivers are owned. They wouldn't need to do anything fancy to their system, since they are all treated the same way.

It sounds like when they converted people over to AT&T billing, there wasn't a way to flag receivers as owned or leased. That shouldn't affect how commercial accounts are handled, since just like they now assume all receivers are leased for residential accounts, they can assume all receivers are owned for commercial accounts (at for those accounts where receivers are always owned, I don't know if it is the same for all commercial account types)

But I'm still on Directv billing. I actually kind of want to get on AT&T's system because Directv's system for commercial accounts has been so bad for online access. Basically you can't do ANYTHING online, you can't even view your bill, let alone make changes to your account, etc. So converting to AT&T billing can't possibly make things worse :)

11. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The leasing model was in existence long before Directv. Cable boxes were leased. And security systems in residences are almost always leased. Most security customers don't know that the installation and monitoring agreement calls out Leased hardware. That said, the security company rarely asks for it back.

Leasing is better for accounting purposes and profitability.

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and some systems like Comcast have keep the old DCT 2000 cable boxes in use for years

13. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I am concerned that if they allow the activation of my owned receiver they will extend my contract as if I added a new leased advanced receiver. I cannot assume anything that an ATT CSR tells me is accurate so there is no way to determine the result other than from reports on this forum from members.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Oh, I'm sure it is better for profitability. When you can "sell" and "resell" the same junk over and over and over, and charge a monthly lease fee on top of that, how could it not be?

And these clowns wonder why they are losing over a million customers a quarter. The sad part is, they still don't get it. You can see that with their belief they can lock down a two year contract with their AT&T TV service. Absolutely NOTHING warrants a two year contract for that service, but they don't get it.

Rich and 242424 like this.
  15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Contracts are not stacked.
    Adding a receiver to your account starts the contract on that date and is for 1 or 2 years. A DVR adds 2 years.

16. Lsol

Lsol Mentor

Jul 30, 2006
    Two months ago I was able to activate a H24 for my guest bedroom and also last week.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I cannot do anything with my account online via AT&T either. For example the option is there to change my programming but if I click on that option it just gives me a screen to call their toll free number. I can view my bill online but that is about the only thing that works. Online refresh receiver doesn't work. Reset receiver doesn't work. Rename receiver doesn't work and the list goes on. My account shows all of my receivers as "not connected" when I look at the list of them. At least now they do have my equipment list correct. It was wrong for over a year when they migrated my account.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Not necessarily. If they don’t roll a truck it is a year. Doesn’t matter the device

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Lease fee or additional receiver fee. AT&T charges the same dollar amount whether the equipment is leased or owned. Returned equipment saves them money over buying new. But leasing vs selling does not increase the monthly income.

20. spiderman865

spiderman865 AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    In New Jersey, leased receivers are charges sales tax while owned receiver are not.