1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Active Dish system with old wing dish can I mount OTA antenna on old dish

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by joetex, Jun 16, 2016.

1. joetex

joetex Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Have a 722VIP. And a 211. Used to subscribe to All American Direct and still have the wing dish from my days with AAD on my roof. Can I mount an OTA antenna onto the wing dish & use the cables from the unused dish? Could I use a diplex at the entry points of each receiver, one for the satellite input and the other for the OTA input? Am a newcomer when it comes to OTA so I apologize if this has been asked before. Thanks in advance for any guidance!!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Probably can be done photos would help. Doubt you can use the dish to mount a TV antenna but the existing "J" pole may work if it is tall enough.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Also, if you use the existing cable, remove all satellite couplers and switches in the line, often they do not pass signals in the TV spectrum.

4. joetex

joetex Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks for the input. Good things to know before I start the project.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    My general advice is to use dedicated cables for satellite and OTA. If you do want to use diplexers, put them on different ends of the same cable (no splitters allowed, barrel connectors OK) - definately AFTER any satellite switch. Diplexers have their place (and should work with your satellite receivers), but if you need preamps / distribution amps - it's time for dedicated networks of coax.