"Active" page changes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cartrivision, Oct 15, 2008.

1. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Don't know if the new "Active" page is CE specific or not so I'll start this thread here.

The Active page has been changed in both "look and feel", and contents.

I like the new look, but unfortunately they have made the underlying contents worse.

The "what's hot" information page has been reduced to show at most half of the number of programs that used to be listed, and didn't there used to be a "news" category? That's not there now.

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The new look is nice, but (no surprise) it still is horribly slow which is the reason why I never really use it.

It would be awesome if it was decently fast. I wish they could make it use the network connection when present, that would be great for the weather at least.

3. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Not CE related.

4. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    the watched shows doesnt always work right either....a few times ive seen the same show on the same channel as the 3rd & 4th most watched shows ?

5. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    I saw that before they changed to the new Active format and at the time it was because they counted the HD and SD channel as two separate channels even though it was the same show. I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing or not.

6. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Sure does load slow. So slow I wont use. Why cant they cache some of it to make it load faster?

7. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    It showed up when The Weather Channel added the "Locals on the 8's" to their SD channel.

8. sundude90

sundude90 Legend

Jun 12, 2008
    According to my contact at the The Weather Channel: They are working on making it better and adding more features to it like the weather. But some problems are is that comes from the satellites (101- Which is about full) and it uses lots of CPU and processor on the receivers. This also may be one of the reasons that it is slow. A lot of it has to with the Capacity of the receiver like. The processor in these receivers are not that great.

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    wasnt the case here though as it was fox news which unfortunately isnt in HD yet.

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    It still should not load that slow. There is not THAT much to process. Series Links/recording/HD/mediashare should be much more resource intensive.

11. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    They should remove Active entirely. It adds no value to the D* product.

12. Lanthom

Lanthom Legend

Aug 6, 2008
    I just flipped to check speed and the top 5 being watched is the Presidential Debate. Its just on 5 different channels.

13. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I enjoy it. I like putting in "My Cities", on the weather page and checking out the weather at our summer camp, 1500 miles away. I also like the What's Hot feature.

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    what channels winning abc ?

15. Lanthom

Lanthom Legend

Aug 6, 2008
    Actually its showing NBC, Fox News, CNN, CBS then Baseball on Fox. ABC isn't even there. LOL

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    wow i cant believe abc is losing to cnn....i know its only directv viewers but it still should be close to the national sample and i think abc won the last debate ratings....i dont think i trust this really....lol.

17. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    There is a very, very slim possibility that it was what happened. AFAIK, nobody knows exactly how "What's Hot" works or what its sample size is. In the event that enough receivers in "engineering mode" were programmed to "phone home" at around the same time and the sample size was small enough, then it may be possible for an HD channel in testing mode to show up in the list. Clicking on it may be a possible backdoor to view the test channel, in the same way that Game Search was a backdoor. That's not very likely though, but it's worth trying if you happen to notice an SD only channel listed twice.

18. bixfisher

bixfisher AllStar

Jul 9, 2007
    I personally like the ACTIVE feature. I think the LOCAL ON THE 8's on THE WEATHER CHANNEL on the SD receivers is cool. Almost like cable where you get YOUR local weather and not a mish/mash of national and regional maps and radar. Looking forward to when the have it for my HR20's.

19. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I find the Active Channel to be useless - I can get better info faster from my computer on the internet

20. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I never use the active channel. I would use it daily if it didn't take so long to load. I can pull out my Treo and find out whatever I am looking for much faster than waiting for it to load. It is so slow, the weather changes before it can load the weather! I tried game channel once, and it was the same problem. It is a great idea, but as long as it is so slow, I won't use it.

As for the weather on the 8's, it is too much of a nuisance to switch from Channels I get to All Channels every time I want to see local weather. If they add it to the HD channel, I'll like it. Until then, I stick to my Treo for the info...