1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Actual Angle signal hits dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by compnurd, Jul 17, 2013.

1. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    OK. So building a new house in zip 16033....

I am planning on pole mounting the dish on the back side of my house to face the Sats.... There some trees about 75-100 feet away from where the dish will be.. I will probably mount the dish about 4ft high.. The trees are about idk.. 50-70 feet high.... trying to figure out if i will clear them

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go to dishpointer.com and put in all of your information. On the page check the box that says "Show Obstacles" or similar.
    It shows you everything you will need to know.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh I did that.. it helps but doesnt lol

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, a lot easier than doing trig!.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The angle at that zip, according to dishpointer.com is 38.1 degrees.

You need to be much, much more precise about your footages.

If the trees are 75' away, you'll only clear 50'. If the trees are 100' away, you'll clear 65'. Worst case scenario would be that the dish would need to be mounted almost 30' in the air! IIRC, DIRECTV requires quite a goodly margin (several degrees) above the tree tops to protect against future growth.

Based on what little you've shared, DIRECTV will need to mount the dish much higher (probably on the house) or in the front yard.

How many stories the home is and how deep the front yard is should answer the question of whether or not a pole mount is possible. As it is, it sounds like a pole in the back yard is not doable.

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh ok.. I need to get out there with a tape measure and get some distances

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Note that the elevation angle applies to the dish setting. The actual angle that comes from the sat is higher than that due to the offset of the LNB to the focal point of the dish.

There are several dish aiming apps available for smartphones.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh that i knew which is why I was curious...

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is an utterly false statement. The elevation (in dish pointing terms) is the angle from level and is entirely independent of where it looks like the reflector is facing.

The elevation of a single satellite as reported by dishpointer.com is independent of the dish used. The azimuth and elevation of the multi-slot dishes is always the same as the spec for a single dish aimed at the "center" slot. If you look at the Phase III dish specs, the numbers (azimuth, elevation and tilt) are identical to that of a single dish pointing at 110W. Similarly, an AT-9 or AU-9 dish has the same numbers as a round dish pointed at 101W.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...

11. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    is only there was an easy way to measure trees lol

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    There is: measure the shadow of the tree, and measure the shadow of a known object's height. A bit of math and you have the height of the tree.

13. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The smartphone app is the best way to go.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    get dishpointer app on your cell or tablet and you will see it !

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would rephrase the question to relevant form: how to check LOS to the satellite from a point where I'm mounting my dish ?

To answer for it see post#14.

16. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    Chop the tree down.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    who knows, perhaps he has a LOS at some spot

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    yeh i may have to break down and buy the app... i would def. get signal from the roof... no question would clear the trees.. but didnt want to roof mount on a brand new roof. cutting the tree down would be a possible option after we move in

I would probably be ok from the front of the house also... but there is the wife factor there

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My dish is on the roof. This is my second one. No problems. Of course this possibly depends on the type of roof you have.
    Mine is mounted close to the edge of the roof, over the soffit. It has a thin layer of sealer material that they put down before screwing in the base pad and if they have ever leaked I am not aware of it.
    When they relocated the second one I left the foot piece of the first one screwed to the roof. This is to keep from having 4 holes / leaks in the roof.